My company had a hanabi day today.

We all went out with the blue sheets, wripped up boxes (to make a "room") and down jackets froze our balls and other parts off while "enjoyin" ourselves and saying things like やっぱり春だなぁあああーーー over and again.

How silly. But it was planned and so no way it could be changed.

Glad to be back.

Blue sheets and cardboard boxes are very wabi I find. And sabi. Even though I can't go out into the freezing cold myself today due to pressures of work, I've arranged a blue sheet on the floor of my office to remind myself that's it's spring. I'm also sitting on some cardboard. Later on I might also have some sake and vomit behind my stove to get the evening hanabi ambience.

I expect you feel closer to your coworkers now after experiencing Japanese seasonal nature with them.

No hanami yet here, still snowing brrrrrr.

Quote:

How silly. But it was planned and so no way it could be changed.

I think because hanami is more like for drinking rather than enjoying cherry blossoms. Drunkers could drink some anywhere anytime and they don't want to postpone it!

No, probably going to Me Tarzan's bar for lunch over the weekend. There are lots of trees along Meguro river so it will be kind of Hanami.

This pregnancy business doesn't make sitting shivering under a tree quite so appealing - can't drink but I still need the toilet every 30mins!!

Only Week 9 and 1/2. Seems to be taking forever!Hawaii was really good - found out I was preggers the day I got back (Sun) and then went to Yamagata Zao from the Mon to Wed. Nice big resort and the hotel was halfway up the slope so we could literally ski into the hotel. Was a bit scared of falling or something though so haven't been since. It's pretty considerate of mini MJ to be arriving at the end of October- I should be okay to be back on the slopes by January!

Sorry back to Hanami...

Congratulations me jane! mini MJ, that's great!

I was just thinking the same thing, SJ Hanami party! Meguro river was so beautiful today. Unfortunately, I don't have any free weekend until 22nd/23rd. Another hanami party on this weekend, going to Kagura 8th/9th, BBQ for Markie in Hakuba 15th/16th(Is this going to be SJ BBQ?)...

Hey, great idea, I'm up for it if I can fit it in! I love sakura in the park, I've already been out a few times just checking out the blossoms - yesterday I was painting in Shinjuku Gyoen (damn cold!), we have a tentative plan to paint there again on Saturday (or possibly Shinobazu-ike in Ueno). If you guys hanami on Saturday maybe I can do a bit of both! Saturdays' probably better for me cos I have to work Sunday nite, but maybe it's warmer on Sunday....

Slow - you're too busy, you should cancel something and join us!

Of course I'm also free on weekdays, though most of you probably aren't.

I'd love to go BBQ at Hakuba but I think I'll be too focussed on thinking about moving (slow you still want to help me find somewhere?). The bulldozers arrive across the road from me on the 15th to begin destruction of the lovely old house there and then 12 months construction of a 5 storey hospital - it will drive me crazy to hang around during that, plus the've already chopped down nearly all of the lovely trees so I no longer have my greenery. \:\(

PS - congrats to Me Jane and Tarzan!

PS - I'm on the boat tomorrow (which is tonite by the time most of you read this), but there's no sakura there :p however I did see a couple of nice trees on the walk from Hinode pier to Hamatsucho eki tonite.

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Unfortunately, I don't have any free weekend until 22nd/23rd.
Anyone else free that weekend? Will there still be cherry blossoms?

Sunrise, I didn't know you were moving. I haven't been around for a while though - got sidetracked by baby websites! For Rent is a really good site for looking for places. Its all in Japanese but its pretty easy to understand.

thanks for that - easy for you, not for illiterate me :rolleyes: bit maybe I can get someone to check it out for me.

er, cherry blossoms on the 22nd? maybe somewhere a lot further up north...... way way gone in tokyo by then, possibly a few other species flowering at Shinjuku Gyoen, but there wouldn't be much... this weekend is really the weekend if you want the flowers

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
going to Kagura 8th/9th
Hey slow, I will also probably be in kagura that weekend.
About the hanami, 23 is ok with me, but I am not sure if it will be ok with the sakura also. :p
Anyway Tokyo crue, lets get together even if it is not for hanami.