Occasionally I apply for jobs even though I'm not really looking to change jobs... it's more of a 'seeing what's out there' kinda thing.

Anyway, this morning I went to an interview with a rival company to the one I'm working at now. I was being interviewed by the director and he asked me, out of the blue, what star sign I was.

I told him and he looked quite disappointed, and then asked if I had a rocky relationship with my father. I told him no, that I got on with my dad very well.

He proceeded to explain that he was "very intro astrology" and that he felt it came in handy when choosing potential employees.

Definitely the most bizarre interview I've ever had!

What's the strangest thing you've been asked in an interview?

"O-matsuri no sawagi ga suki desu ka" - amongst several pages of similar bullshit questions on a psychological profile sheet. I had difficulties with that question because sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't, it all depends.

Interviews are crap, I hate them. Most managers have no idea whatsoever how to conduct them.

I once got rejected for a graduate position with the Royal Bank of Scotland based on a psychological profile.

I spent about 4 hours filling in a massive application form, which had several long open ended questions that you had to write 500 words for. A week later I got an email saying my application had passed the first stage and to proceed to fill in an online personality profile. I answered the 30-odd questions (all ridiculous ones like 'do you like to speak loudly OR do you enjoy working in a team') and at the end clicked 'submit' and got a nice little message saying 'sorry you do not fit the personality profile required, your application is unsuccessful' or words to that effect.

To say I was pissed would be a massive understatement - they wasted so much of my time. I sent them an email saying they should just pick applicants by lottery instead.

I vowed to myself that day that I would never work for a company that uses psychological profiling as such a company is surely full of morons.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
Psych profiles are, in my opinion, a big fat waste of time.
Depending on my interpretation of your statement, I disagree. Some profiles are very useful if appropriately applied to the subject. I am able to be significantly more successful in employment and most importantly in my distinctly high risk taking personal speculative trading business activities due to an acute understanding of my personality profile. If I were a manager of people, the first thing I would want to know is each of their personality profiles. Most people don't know shit about themselves nor the people around them. That knowledge is rare and understandably extremely valuable, even when out in the back country with a mixed group of people on a long tour.

Most people fail because they are too busy trying to be tough rather than winners, particularly men. This is why winning is so easy. If you can manage to get past the title of this appallingly named book then I suggest it will be one of the most valuable things you have read in business and private relationships.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN...3140674-4832661

I have never failed in my life and I put it down to knowing who I am when the people around me usually have no idea who they are. The above book contributed a lot. Get one thing straight, it is not a tacky self help book.

I was recently offered (and declined) an opportunity that had a grand total of 15 hours of interviews and testing over a few months. About half of that was gauging my personality type, which to this employer, needed to be a special fit into their type of organisation. Putting work experience aside, I was offered the job on the basis of my personality and attitude. This wasn't just any old above average 'job' either.

Personality is at least 75% of every interaction or relationship. Most employers and couples fail to understand this fact to their eventual unhappy end.

Anyway, in answer to your question, the strangest thing I have been asked went something like this:

Him: what sports do you like

Me: surfing

Him: I mean a real sport, like footy or cricket.

Me: I don't like them, I like surfing and I don't want to work for you any more.

It was a most satisfying moment.

Spud, the psych profiles that I was referring to are usually distinctly different from personality profiles.

While most (and let me be clear that I mean not all) psych profiles are used to pinpoint a person's flaws and strong points, they usually fail to give an accurate outline of their overall personality.

This is why most organisations are now switching to personality profiling tests such as Myers Briggs. I think these are much more effective.

I reckon personality is dynamic - I know my personality changes a lot depending on the environment I am in. I don't see how these psychological profile questionnaires can account for that. When I was answering the questions nearly every answer I gave was arbitrary (ie. I could happily of chosen either answer so I may as well have been tossing a coin to choose the answers), so the results can only be nonsense.

> 15 hours of interviews and testing over a few months

You'd need to have a good plan to justify that much time taken, but then if you want the right person for even a year's worth of work, 15 hours is a small investment. Did they do a good job in that 15 hours?

I too enjoy turning down work and explaining why it's not worth doing. Doing stupid work is soul destroying.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
I once got rejected for a graduate position with the Royal Bank of Scotland based on a psychological profile ... and at the end clicked 'submit' and got a nice little message saying 'sorry you do not fit the personality profile required, your application is unsuccessful' or words to that effect...'
Well B12, there's your problem - Banks don't like the 'Submit' button, you should've used the 'Deposit' option! ;\)

Since I work in a 'technical' field, most questions in interviews have defined parameters with little subjectivity. So personal traits, etc have less importance than nuts 'n bolts ability/potential.

Admittedly, it's difficult not to feel like a battery-hen in those types of jobs.

Personally prefer the panel-type interview where questions bounce from one to the other - allows a broader profile to be expressed. I wouldn't waste the ink filling in forms just so someone can say '... he's not the person because he likes the colour red, small fluffy animals, and a penchant for BC skiing over team sports'. :rolleyes:

Dumbest question - 'Would you like to come for an interview?' (Take the time to read my CV and call the referee's BEFORE the interview, then you'll realise if I'm the right person!)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> 15 hours of interviews and testing over a few months

You'd need to have a good plan to justify that much time taken, but then if you want the right person for even a year's worth of work, 15 hours is a small investment. Did they do a good job in that 15 hours?
It could have been faster, but was drawn out due to changes and bad timing. They are very thorough and when they make up their mind, it is set: they want you. I was amazed that I passed their IQ testing and so went along with the whole process to see what interesting things would come from it. The employer in question is reasonably unique in their attitude. However, how about this for a possible contradiction (and also a potential explanation of the 15 hours). In the entire process, I never even met them! I met one local guy that worked for the company, but he was junior to me. I also saw my future boss on a video conference for 2 sets of 2 hours. And that was it. When I heard they were going to offer me the job I was horrified that they would do so without ever having met me. The first time we would sit in the same room was after I flew across the world with all my belongings, found a house and turned up to work on Monday to introduce myself.

I had an interview once that lasted 3 minutes. And I got the job offer (didn't take it). The guy just did not want to be there and it showed. I thought he was taking the piss so I was very surprised when the offer came through.

"INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless. The concept of 'poetic justice' is appealing to the INFJ."

You must be a hero hotrod \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
Spud, what's your Myers Briggs personality type?
INTJ

I am always INT, but the J sometimes changes strength or becomes a P (perceiving rather than Judging)

I tried that test but I couldn't say definitely one way or another for most of the questions. How can y'all be so definite about whether you feel at ease in a crowd? Are you always at ease in a crowd? Do you never have quite desperate moments of unease in a crowd, even though normally you do OK in crowds? ...?