Online Running Shoe Stores.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
I wouldnt buy them online just because thats something you really want to try on before buying...regardless if you KNOW the size is correct each shoe can still vary. Thats just my 2 yen worth Indo thumbsup.gif
I hear ya BUT there is no choice! I cannot get size 12 here. Every pair of Nike's I've owned recently have been this size so it's a risk I'm willing to take!
I can't find anything bigger than 10's if you can, please let me know where!

Indonsm, I've never ordered shoes online before but if you know your size it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe check to make sure you can return/exchange them if need be.

I found these sites, not sure if they're 'trusty' so check them out first:

www.finishline.com

www.roadrunnersports.com

Maybe try eBay as well?

If you have no luck with the Nikes, maybe you should check out some other brands. Asics are probably the best for running, but they're expensive. You can buy them online at www.activasports.com

New Balance are also good and they have an online shop: www.nbwebexpress.com

You can usually find them at the big flagship stores in Tokyo, try 'em on there then buy 'em online cheaper. That's prob. not much help to you unless you're planning a trip here.

I agree with CreekBoy. I'd go for a model that i've worn before since fit can change a lot from mold to mold.

Thanks for the links Nicole. I have already looked at one of those and am awaiting an answer on International shipping from the other.

Asics are damn good shoes, though that really does depend on the runners foot. I used to get very bad shin splints and my podiatrist got me into a pair of asics and the air max 180's as the have a wide base. The air max 180's have just been released and feeling natsukashi I wouldn't mind a pair for old times sakes!

Sock Monkey, yeah tokyo is a 25,000 round trip for me! I could buy 2 pairs of shoes and sell the ones that didn't fit!

Indo, I got some nice Asics at Sportaka in Osaka and they have your sizes here in Japan, so if you can't find em in a shop you could contact them. Actually they may be be able to order the size for you at good shop. Do you have Niketown outlet store in Nagoya? They usually have larger sizes.

Agree with CreekBoy-running shoes are definate try before you buys, unless you get the same model.

Cool Indo, hope you find what you're looking for.

You're right about the shoe depending on the foot - I bought the Asics Kayanos when they first came out and found them to be way too heavy for my foot. I think because they have a lot of padding, Asics do tend to be a slightly heavier shoe.

Everyone bags Nike runners but I have to admit I have a 10-year-old pair and they're my favourite. They're ratty as hell and falling to pieces but they are super comfy and I can't bear to throw them out.

Sweet dave, I agree on the try thing too and if I can I will!

I have checked out sports authority/depo and a host of other stores but they wont get any bigger sizes in. Will try the nike shop in town this week.

Nicole, Some Nike's are damn heavy but they are more for fashion rather than running. Usually the wide soles are much heavier..

My best pair of shoes were a nike racing flat.. white/ bright pink! Creek kun probably knows what I'm talking about!

Yup, switched to them when I went back home last Spring and love em. Forget the name of it Orange but will check tonight and post it tomorrow.

Asics are really good too. I was basically a Nike boy when I was doing triathlons and runnin in college as they sponsored our Xcountry and T&F team but have been trying other shoes since then.

More important than the brand is finding a shoe that fits your foot correctly thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a coupla questions for yas.

Is there a hell of a lot of difference between a 12,000 yen running shoe (which I have now) and a 3,700 yen running shoe which fits and I'm thinking of buying? (Mizuno)

And has anybody got an opinion of Dunlop?

I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that a bog standard shoeshop in my 'hood had more than one running shoe that fitted, but they were all less than 4,000 yen. I wonder if they're any good.

I've never worn Mizuno but I've heard it's a reputable brand. Still, that is awfully cheap for a running shoe - maybe they're knock-offs?

I wouldn't buy Dunlops - they're not widely regarded as a good running shoe.

O11 you can manage to get some really cheap deals on anything NOT nike.

I saw some really good asics last week for 4-5000 yen.

Nicole, Australia is the most expensive place on earth for shoes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Is there a hell of a lot of difference between a 12,000 yen running shoe (which I have now) and a 3,700 yen running shoe which fits and I'm thinking of buying? (Mizuno)

And has anybody got an opinion of Dunlop?

I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that a bog standard shoeshop in my 'hood had more than one running shoe that fitted, but they were all less than 4,000 yen. I wonder if they're any good.
O11, as long as the shoe fits anatomically Id say thats all that matters. I dont think theres much of a difference. The cheaper shoe (would) might wear out faster and not be as durable but thats just pure speculation. Buy em and see. Give us a report on em.

Dunlop, isnt that a tire company? Bet the tread would be good...

There is a happy end to the story!

Found some Air 180's squeezed into a US11.

4,500 ( 10,000yen off! clap.gif )

figure that any running shoe will feel tighter than the wide skate style shoes that I'm using now, and these will stretch a little.

now, to have a stretch and go for a run!