Official parties - why are they so short?

I go to a few functions as part of work, and I often think the "networking" parties where the drinks come out are way too short - usually just 1.5 or 2 hours. And 20-30 minutes of that is taken up with speeches and kanpais. I always think they finish just as they are getting going and people are getting relaxed. I know there's the nijikais sometimes but for the kind of things I attent they often don't happen as people disperse all over the place.

Of course, if it is a party you don't really want to be at, short is good but.........

Anyone else feel that?

Weddings are the same. The most enjoyable one's are the one's with the least time between kick off and kampai. At least you can drink thru the speeches.

It may be to allow some of the boys to get to the BJ club before it closes.

Some J mates of mine ideal night out goes:

ichijikai, nichikai, bj club, sanjikai.

Most restaurants (in the cities?) usually have 2 hour time limits (longer if you're lucky) to rotate the customers get some fresh cash (I guess a party in the 3rd hour doesn't spend as much as a fresh party). There are odd restaurants that don't set time limits for parties.

The thing I hate is being asked to pay 3-4000 yen or whatever for one of those 90 minute deals, standing around drinking maybe 1-2 bottles of beer worth and half a plate of uninspiring sandwiches.