Like some friggin loser obsessed with model aeroplanes or dog shows, I have become fixated with campervans. Perhaps it is my age, perhaps I want to quit my job and live in one. Either way, if it looks like I am staying in Europe for a while then I think I am going to buy one. It will be the most expensive thing I have bought and it is a bit confusing what to go for (I am a geek and tend to save all my money rather than buying cars).

Has anyone here owned one and have any advise as to what features should be given priority, what should be avoided? They can get very expensive so I am trying to find a balance between price and function. All I want is a not very old, small, left hand drive van conversion that runs on diesel and preferably has some insulation.

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
Has anyone here owned one and have any advise as to what features should be given priority, what should be avoided? They can get very expensive so I am trying to find a balance between price and function.
To Avoid: Driving on the roads during public holidays - people who tow caravans/drive under-powered campervans during peak holiday periods are a big pain in the a***

But Seriously: ever thought about one of those pop-out box trailer types:

http://www.cavaliercampertrailers.com.au/standard.htm

a coupla mates have them and they swear by 'em. It means you can setup the trailer at a site, and do day excursions without towing the whole thing along - also, coupled with a 4WD adds greater access and versatility.

We had one of those when I was a little tacker (we later changed from a pop-top to a full-on caravan), and SZ is right, they are really good to travel with. Easy to set up, and leave somewhere while you take the car off for the day.

Just make sure ya get one with "four deep fryers. One for each part of the chicken."

that trailer thingy like subzero mentioned sounds tha gee ohh. thats something ya never see in japan- a trailer! in oz most households have a trailer for `cartin rubbish up tha tip`. 2am? good spot N, good spot ;\)

p.s. forum police, hope this post isn`t ad hominem :rolleyes:

Winnebago's are the go.

My mate has a few and does the snow/surf everyweek end.

Awesome things if you use them enough to justify the cost. I need one with all these kids now! I've out grown the Super GL!

I think you've answered your own question there, spud: "All I want is a not very old, small, left hand drive van conversion that runs on diesel and preferably has some insulation."

I'd go for the most basic items, a bed, a fridge, cooker and water tank. A pop-up roof if possible. They do come winterised, though I guess AWD is less common in Europe than Japan, and that's where I'd be looking to spend the money. You can get diesel powered heaters too, which are externally mounted and duct in warm air.

http://www.webasto.us/press/en/am_trucks_heaters_826.html

I headed up to Tsugaiike on the weekend and met a friend up there who has just purchased a winnibago!! COuldn`t believe how HUGE it was inside!! Shower, toilet, double bad, the lot!!!! Definately a luxurious way to "camp"!! Evenan airconditoiner the same as the ones in houses inside it!!

Those pop out trailers are cool, but not super convenient for drive, stop, eat and sleep weekend trips. Plus it might be a bit cold in a ski resort car park.

Soub - thanks for the link to the heater. I think if i had any luxury, it would be a heating system/insulation. It seems buying a camper is the type of thing that works best when you have a bit of spare time and a garage next to your house so you can work on the interior and also add features along the way. Pop-top is the way to go for economy and driving ease, although they are colder if you leave the roof up.

I do not want to go too old for fear of constant mechanical problems. I don't have a garage, let alone a car park. And I will keep in non-English speaking Europe... so a reliable vehicle is a nice to have.

If I was prepared to buy new then some amazing vehicles are available and stupefying prices. Check out the Hymer Exsis! Nice inside but too big for me.

http://www.hymer.com/eu/1107_motorhomes.html

A new VW conversion costs as much as a damn sports car.

There are some great ones available, but the conversion is done in the UK and so they are right hand drive. For example, this little compact guy is awesome and is relatively 'cheap' compared to the new alternatives. New cars like this are a fantasy.

http://www.auto-sleepers.co.uk/peugeot_Mezan.htm

I'll be going for a reliable second hand pre-loved van.

Good god Slow, look at the roof top! If your BF ever announced he wanted to buy a campervan, is this what you would expect of him? Tough job.

I must admit my budget and taste are a little more modest. I will probably go for a 1995 VW conversion until I know exactly what I will be doing a year from now.

There are heaps of great ones in the UK, but all right hand drive. You should se how much they charge for a 1995 Japanese van import (Hiace etc) which has had a conversion job: £10,000!!! You couldn't give away a 10 year old van in Japan!

Parking is also a big issue. Most city/airport/storage carparks have at best 2m ceilings. Most campers are taller than that.

I joined a VW campervan forum today. I am otaku.

Uh oh, I thought you could afford to buy that rooftop bus! Sorry, ;\)

A friend of mine is a motorhome otaku like you and showes me mororhome magazine. He is thinking of living in a motorhome in the US, so space isn't big problem but how much water you can carry is more important for him.

I heard there were many nice camp sites in Italy, especially Florence.

DB, my sister bought a VW camper in the UK last year and so she must have loads of info. I will see what I can do ... although she did end up buying a right hand drive one. She wanted a left hand drive like you but said it was too difficult to find one in the UK. Looking may be difficult in Italian, but if you want a left hand drive you might have to look outside of the UK?!

Belgium used to be the happy hunting ground for inexpensive LHD vehicles. You can easily manage a weekend from London. If you could source one from Scandinavia, you'd have a good chance of getting a winter van. Trouble with Scandinavia is I don't know how their tax systems distort the market.

Thanks Soub, NPM.....

I now have a new wish in life: that the UK dove LHD vehicles! lol.gif

I understand that Japan, Australia, US can 'do their own thing'. They are isolated from the rest of the world and it really doesn't matter what they drive. But the UK?

Buying in Europe is a great option, but language and shopping around can be a hurdle. Buying in the UK is easy and plentiful, but steering is a problem. Fun and games.

I will check out the Belgian situation. I also know that buying a new vehicle in Holland and importing to the UK provides significant savings due to the Dutch tax system and set of refunds which you when the car is exported receive.

If you're still just fishing spud, why not hedge? A decent HiAce-sized RHD* Forward Control van with a pop-up roof would be easy to find, and easy to sell. Give yourself a year to form an opinion, then move on to what you really want. February might be a good time to look.

*I realise you want to be "not-a-Pom" in Europe. Be encouraged that RHD will cause 10yo boys to point and wave. You will be the centre of attention ;\)

I really am tempted to hedge as you suggest. And started out happy to get a RHD. But we will be driving in and out of Milan every weekend and quite often my gf will drive it alone. Merging into the left hand lane on a busy road (like in Milan) or a frantic freeway (like in Italy!) is quite difficult in a RHD car as the blind spot becomes all the more larger, especially when it is a van chassis with no/obscured side windows. If you have someone in the left hand passenger seat then they can quite easily spot for you leading into the merge. But on your own would be quite tough. If we were always out on the road, two in the van at the same time and not dissecting a busy city up to 4 times a weekend then I would happily be a pom in Europe!

At this stage I am considering a buy back arrangement for the next 6 months. Then, after we are more permanently settled in Europe somewhere in Feb next year, buying a longer term vehicle that more perfectly suits my situation. Even choosing where to register is at the moment proving a bit of a hassle (I may leave the UK for the continent at some stage and may not end up in Italy, so there are quite a few unknowns).

I am shocked these days to find myself eyeing up delivery vans in the city. If one leaves the door open I walk by mentally drafting how I could fit out the interior. There is a lot of good space in those big high top deliver vans! I would love to fit out my own van.

I know the convergence problem. You need windows down the left, and an extra mirror too.

I built my own. Cut out the floor and bulkhead and fitted a Holden 186 and Falcon axle to a a knackered Transit. Insulated and lined it, put in a bed, a stove and some water. Drove it from Perth to Melbourne, wintered at Hotham, returned to Perth via Sydney.