Trillian (4 instant messengers in one)

I've been on ICQ for about 10 years now, but many of my friends have moved to MSN, i still want to talk to them as well as the people i talk to on ICQ, so instead of running 2 programs i got this program recomended the other day:

Trillian logs on to ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, AIM and IRC

at the same time. No ads, no spyware just a stable program.

Go pro though, the free version does not allow multiple identities.

That sounds pretty cool. Most of my mates all went to messenger too, so I just gave up on iqc. Now I don't actually use either very often. Skype has a similar chat function, and all my friends are now gravitating to that. I wonder if Trillian handles that too?

I am a failed messenger software user. After years of trying I managed to build up a very small address book of friends who actually own and use a computer on a regular basis, then I found that the messenger type software was an invasion of my privacy. I don't like everyone knowing that I am online and logged in. Everytime a contact logged in, my computer would say "Mr such and such has signed in!" I hated the fact that the same message popped up on their screen when I signed in. I didn't like that and uninstalled msn messenger, even though it meant missing out on some good fun chats with guys that I never see anymore.

The blocking solution doesn't work either: Mr A and Mr B are on line and likely chatting. I have blocked Mr A from seeing I am online and am chatting to B. Mr B might mention to Mr A that he is talking to me. Mr B would then see I am not online and thus know I have blocked him. I use to block every user by default and then selectively chose which ones I wanted to talk to, remaining invisible to the rest. This became a drag and caused people to be offended.

I used the iMac messenger for a long time to video chat each weekend with geographically removed GF. It was free, effective and great! But again, I didn't like other people just popping up and trying to chat to me when I was busy chatting to someone else.... and iChat didn't seem to allow me selectively block my online status for different contacts. I was either visible to everyone or visible to no one.

In the end I stopped using all messenger things and now send an email once every now and then when I want to talk to a friend.

I felt exactly the same way spud. I couldn't stand getting into something interesting or necessary on my computer then having the damn icon start flashing insistently. It was always "I just saw you logged on so..."

Last summer when I was still using it occasionally, one of my very pretty lady friends got herself a video camera and called me up wearing a thin summer camisole. I could watch her tits jiggling in Internet-phone motion as she giggled at the things I typed. It was a classic perverted PC user experience that I was not in any hurry to repeat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I was not in any hurry to repeat.
For risk of losing self control?
\:\) [like I almost did]

For all the nuisance/invasive aspects of message-ing (wtf), the AV chat is actually amazingly better than any means of long distance communications available to our parents. It has helped me a lot.

I havent had problem with the nuisance factor, people (including me) only start a chat if they have something useful to say or ask.

It probably helps that my computer is almost always on (downloading and for skype - my computer is my substitute landline so I need it on for phone calls) so I am mostly always logged into instant messenger, the 'novelty factor' messenging has dried up as to my contacts I am always there.

If you log in only every now and then and your friends havent seen you for along while, its only natural they will see see you log in and then quickly start a chat.

Instant messaging (IM) is a unique way of communicating. It is somewhere between oral conversation and emailing.

I chat with my 4 close friends from denmark almost daily. they are online from work, and i get to chat with them when i come home from my job. With IM we have been able to stay involved in each others daily life and have discussed everything from snow and waves to more serious problems.

Over time people have suggested that we use internet telephony, but i like the fact that with IM i can answer a message right away or wait until after dinner or whatever i'm doing. the same goes for the people in DK who are at work.

on my contact list there is a good IM culture. I don't feel that it is invasive/intrusive at all. Maybe because i dont feel that i HAVE to answer every message.

Like Snowglider said, if you are online daily for years, people don't require your full attention the whole time

and spud, sounds, fancy blinking icons and other alerts are meant to be turned off ;\)

Thunder - I certainly see your point. I also think I would have adopted messaging into my life more easily if I were allowed to use the software at work.

Keep in mind that I am a bit of an odd ball when it comers to otherwise normal social interaction and communication. I didn't own a mobile phone until the last few years for this reason. Even my home phone would annoy me. I do not like the way people can just barge into my life totally out of the blue with a phone call. You can be happily doing something, fully occupied and suddenly the phone rings and the person at the other end actually has the cheek to expect you to drop everything and answer it... and then shoot the breeze with them about nothing. It is intrusive and annoying and hence I very seldom actually answer my phone.

I think mass communication with complete strangers over an internet forum is much more easy.