This world has been getting busier and busier nowadays. People always need to be in a hurry for everything. I feel sometimes I need something slow and calm.

This seemed to be a 8 hours trip in India

Turkey

Germany

Has everyone had any chance to enjoy this kind of nostalgic travle recently?

We are getting more and more things but on the other hand losing something which we can never retrieve.

\:\(

You're right Gamera. Whenever people go on holiday these days they spend the whole time rushing around trying to see everything. I guess most people don't get enough paid holiday from work so they think they have to "make the most of it". Seems crazy that people have a 5 day holiday from work and then spend 2 and a 1/2 of those days on planes & trains.

I'd love to spend more time hiking around Japan...or to take the long way home on the Trans-siberian express.

I've done part (Sydney to Adelaide) of the Indian Pacific train trip. Parents have done the whole thing a few times to Perth = 4,300km and three days travel time.

http://www.gsr.com.au/

Train is the best way to go, especially if you do the full deal = sleeping compartment, dining in the dining car with other travellers, etc.

It's just so ... civilised!

Cool me jane, I have had some guests from Europe by Syberian express all the way from Moscow to Vladivostok then ferry to Fushigi ( Toyama pref.) or Yokohama and they all have told me it's so fantastic. Want to try it in the near future, it's been one of my dream.

Subzero, locos in that site pull a lot of coarches probably around 20? Can't imagine those long trains any more in Japan.

The longest distance train I've ever ridden is probably Sud Express from Paris to Lisbon or Nord Express from Copenhagen to Paris.

I was an alien there lol...

The trans-siberian is an awesome train trip! when we left Japan 2 years ago, we took the train from Shanghai to St. Petersberg, stopping off along the way. All up it took us about 6weeks. It was a very cool trip. The longest we stayed on the train in any stint was about 3 days from Lake Baikal to Moscow. It was a bit claustrophobic, and it was interesting being cooped up with strangers for this amount of time. We got on with our Russian and Mongolian cabin mates famously, although I'm not sure if I could ever drink that much vodka again!

I love travelling like this, but not everyone has the time to do it.

There's some other quite famous train journeys through Asia and South America... but the names escape me at the moment

I have done the Pelni ferries in Indonesia.

Bali - Timor, hopping off at a few Islands along the way. I think the Bali timor takes 3 days... maybe 4. From Jakarta to Sumatera can take a week or more depending where ya going.

Always get 2nd class sleeper and meals are insane with a live band. It feels like the love boat!

Long slow trips are fun, I'd like to do the Adelaide - Ayres rock mission with the wife a good book and NO kids! Just short holidays I don't want to be travelling the whole time and prefer to get there quicker.

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
Subzero, locos in that site pull a lot of coarches probably around 20? Can't imagine those long trains any more in Japan.
Yes, once the train climbs the Great Dividing Range outside of Sydney, the terrain is generally undulating or near flat. The train is long because once in the desert, it is totally self sufficient. Also has a couple of car carriers and carriages holding supplies for the settlements along the line (mainly rail maintenance townships in the desert)