Invoices, receipts, stamps

I recently have been doing some work on my own and am quite new to this, a bit of advice would be great on this situation (a different one to the other one the other week!)

I invoiced a client. On the invoice it says clearly (all in Japanese) that the client is to pay the bank charges. Anyone this one client comes to the office to pay in cash - to avoid having to pay bank charges so it seems. He pays and then asks for a receipt that has a 200 yen stamp on it (can't remember the name of the stamp, but he says it is necessary for payments of over 30,000 yen). I didn't have any so he will have to come back, but it seems a bit strange that it now seems I am to pay a 200 yen charge just to accept this payment.

A little confused. Anyone able to shed some light.

Hi Ug:

He's right! All invoices over 30,000yen require a 200yen revenue stamp (inshi) on them.

The person issuing the receipt has to provide the inshi. It is just another tax (inshizei).

What we've started doing is accepting stamps and inshi as payment for small invoices we send (under 1,500yen), as the bank fees are so expensive.

OK but why pay this tax in the first place, that's what I don't understand. Why don't they just pay through the bank transfer, where in fact the tesuryo would be 105 yen instead of 200 yen whether they paid or I paid it.

It's just that the invoice says "client pays the bank transfer charge" and so I was expecting to receive the full amount not have to put a silly 200 yen stamp on a piece of paper to get the cash.

Seems I have things to learn.

You don't want to get started on taxes mate. It's a bloody nightmare.

It's just the same as the tax on reentry stamps. Only way I rationalize it that if I'm invoicing for more than 3man then I'm getting a good profit out of it anyway.

wakaranai.gif wakaranai.gif wakaranai.gif

If you are working a bit like this then you may also want to start collecting receipts also to claim on your tax. Make sure you get as general as possible product info on the receipt.

You can usually relate it back to your work somehow. Oh, and start taking business trips. Everywhere you go out of town becomes a business trip.

Quote:
Originally posted by ug:
OK but why pay this tax in the first place, that's what I don't understand. Why don't they just pay through the bank transfer, where in fact the tesuryo would be 105 yen instead of 200 yen whether they paid or I paid it.

It's just that the invoice says "client pays the bank transfer charge" and so I was expecting to receive the full amount not have to put a silly 200 yen stamp on a piece of paper to get the cash.

Seems I have things to learn.
The way I understand it is the if he paid by bank transfer he would get hit with the charge ( which is by the way, usually more than 105yen) so he came to you and he is the winner.

I don't see how some businesses expect me the (supplier of the goods) to have to foot the cost of their transaction, which in most companies would be the cost of the payee.

Hi Indo, How things?

I don't think it is the purchaser that is the prob. It's the tax system.

If they pay by wire transfer then there is a paper trail and they don't need a receipt. But if the pay in cash on the spot then they need a receipt. Receipts over 3man without a inshi on them are not valid when you do you taxes at the end of the year.

Bank charges usually run from free (within the same branch or the same bank) up to 600 odd yen.

Miso,

I get the bank deal and its the best and cheap if from the same bank (as you said) but you would think that a transfer charge would be a tax deduction to the person paying me...

I'm not getting my kicks in a knot though, because now, most people pay me cash, which I prefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by ug:
OK but why pay this tax in the first place, that's what I don't understand.
It's inshi-zei ho. (stamp duty law).
Issuer of some documents has to pay this tax.
Receipt is one of them.
When you transfer some money by bank transfer at some teller window at banks, they put the stamp (inshi)at the receipt. But if it's through an ATM machine in a bank or at a register in a shop , probably there's a description which says something like "No stamp(inshi) required due to the self-assessment" on the sheet.

Other documents which need this stamp.
*drafts
*contracts which mention about money like sales contracts.
*insurance note
*L/C
etc a lot.

Gams:

You forgot the good ole Reentry stamps all us lucky gaijin have to get to get back into Japan.

Indo:

As far as I know bank fees are tax deductable (keihi). I asked my wife about it (she does our books) and she gave me the "Zeikin Dakara" line.

More I think about about it, it does seem a bit stupid.