I am wanting to organise tickets to the Sumo tournament in January 2006 in Tokyo and just wondering if there is an online ordering site or weather I am likely to get tickets on the day - 19th Jan. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

It's getting close now so I thought I would book some tickets. On closer inspection of the site it seems I can only ring and order tickets in Japanese. How likely am I to get tickets on the day if I turn up early? Anybody with an alternative idea?

I believe it is possible to order online in English (but you will pay more than the usual ticket price):

Sunrise Tours

It is also possible to get tickets the day of the tournament, but you will likely be sitting very far away from the action. If you do that option, bring binoculars/telephoto lens. You can check the wrestlers up close once and awhile by standing near the entrance way, but you can't stand there forever.

Have you been Goemon? How was it?

I have been getting into Sumo of late and am interested in checking it out live one day. I love when the underdog wins and they throw their "Zabuton" (cushions) onto the "dojo". Looks great!

NPM:

It's a good day's entertainment.

I went to the Kyushu Tourney Last Nov.

Was there the day Kotoshu beat Asashoryu. We started off at the back but moved down to the boxes as the place was half empty. Watched the last half of the top division from about 10 rows back.

I think the Tokyo tourneys have a better turn out.

NPM: I've been only once (with some other forum members). We called directly for the tickets and did not have the best box seats, but had a good time.

I'm going again Jan 21st or 22nd with supposedly better seats. I'll try to post some pics later this month.