I lived in Japan up until last year, but I am coming back to live next winter. I'm moving to Yokohama region, how close/far is this from half decent snowboarding areas??

Times by car/bus/train etc would be very helpful!!

cheers

Figure about 70-90 minutes from Tokyo Station to Yuzawa/Niigata area by Shinkansen. Tack on how long it will take you to get to Tokyo Station, that should give you a start.

I'm sure other people can give better info on Gunma/Nagano resorts.

From Yokohama to Tokyo station, takes about 25minutes. From Tokyo station, you can go to Niigata(Echigo-yuzawa 84min), Nagano(110min), Tohoku(Koriyama 89min) area by Shinkansen.

There are many ski buses from Yokohama station.

And if you want to fly to Hokkaido, You can get on airport limusine bus at YCAT(Yokohama City Air Terminal, East exit of Yokohama station).

By car, it's very difficult to say where is the closest, it depends on the traffic. But you have to drive at least 3~4hours.

Big fan of the Yokohama Train Station with some must stops in the near vicinity.

1. That cream puff place - Piping Hot Cream Puffs. Always have to pull over for that when I go to Yokohama.

2. New one is the Tokyo Soup Stop I think. Big fan of the pumpkin soup.

3. As always - Starbucks.

The drive from Yokohama to Nagano (Hakuba Valley) will be about 4-4.5 hrs with no snow. Pretty good drive from there. Train sounds much better.

• 5 years later...

hahaha wow Thursday this was an old thread!! When i saw it I wondered what exactly I'd written!!

lol

BTW Beard Papa's cream puffs are awesome, if only they'd cover them in some melted choclate

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
haha yeah Ger, VERY handy.

Jynxx, the original post was from 2004. Thursday just likes to trawl up ancient posts....I live in Japan now

I was genuinely worried that you didn't get the good info.