Burning the stubble in the rice fields.

Instead of hating it, why not do something about it? Farmers in the UK used to do it until people did something about it. Lots of farmers don't actually burn their fields, so it's obviously not entirely necessary.

Talk to your city office for a start and ask them if nothing can be done about it. You might be surprised.

Whenever I find my neighbours' dogs too annoying, I call up the city office and complain. They're pretty good at dealing with public nuisances, and I generally see a very prompt improvement.

The town will only act if people complain actively - it's often the only feedback they get. It can be really effective if you call or visit them, state your objections clearly, ask for some action, and request that they contact you after they've taken the action. And follow up.

It doesn't take much more effort to complain to your town office than it does to complain on here, which obviously changes nothing.

(A local Love Hotel used to have a revolving searchlight that passed over my house all night, every night, every 12 seconds. It had been like that for 10 years apparently. I got it stopped, and now I can enjoy looking at the night sky without thinking of condoms.)

It is the piles of husk which take the time to burn. Add in a little rain, and a wet field, and bingo. None of it need happen. In the UK, straw burning has been stopped. The argument in favour was that the long straw won't plough in, and clogs the plough. Now the combines are fitted with straw choppers, and the problem has gone away. The same could happen here, but burning is a farming tradition, and chopping incurs a small cost.

Quote:
Originally posted by joshnii:
That time of the year when all the fields seem to be burning. Time for the gas masks. I hate it.
Well, its better than a mudslides, earthquake or flood... and although not entirely needed (as pointed out, many farmers never do it) it is perfectly natural activity for farmers and common to indigenous land management practices over thousand of centuries.

Let them burn it, but encourage them to burn it in an effort to generate electricity. Actually, better yet, encourage them to compost it into a bioenergy facility.

It is nature. I would rather smell nature than smell a car or a factory.
  • 1 month later...

Aha, yes. I have a similar hatred for petrol scythes. They make an immense racket, stink up a large area, and are just as much effort to use as a properly sharpened scythe. We have lots of retired gents in our neighbourhood who love to show their public-spiritedness by motor-scything the empty plots. Wankers.