Earthquake warning system....

Just on the news now about a town in Nagano (Maruko-machi?) that has a new system that apparently lets people know that there's been an earthquake before the shaking starts - they were saying 10 seconds. The alarm goes off in the town over speakers so people can prepare for the shaking.

I didn't get much more than that... anyone else?

I have no idea. I only know the little bit that was on TV last night and that my missus told me.

If it was actually reliable, 10 seconds would be long enough to make a big difference though.

NHK had a big special on last night about the 3 earthquake zones on the Pacific seaboard that are due to go off sometime soon. Scary stuff.

Another special on tv? I didn't know about that one - they seem to have one of those every month these days. \:\( Any new info they cared to part with? I presume it being NHK it was a little better than the usual tarento shoutfests that you have on the other channels........

Quote:
Originally posted by sanjo:
You know more abou that Ocean11 - how is that supposed to work?
Although I didn’t watch the specific broadcast so I cant tell for sure how the system they have installed works, I can tell you how similar systems work.
Seismic waves in the upper crust “usually” travel with a speed of 3 km/sec. Consider now the case that an earthquake occurs something like 90 Km away from a city. This means that the seismic waves need approximately 30 sec to travel from the source to the city. Now, if you install around the city seismographs at a radius of 30 km from the centre of the city, it will take something like 10 sec for the seismic waves to reach the city after they have been detected by one of the seismographs. Once they have been detected, a radio signal (travels with the speed of light) leaves the seismograph and triggers the alarm in the city.
Obvious problems with this system.
a) if the seismic source is under the city, the waves will reach first the city and then the seismometers on the perimeter.
B) A big truck passing near one of the seismometers can easily trigger the alarm.

There are many other parameters that control the propagation of seismic waves that will cause this system to fail. It’s not easy to explain all of them so I just give you the main principals.

Obvious problems with this system.

a) if the seismic source is under the city, the waves will reach first the city and then the seismometers on the perimeter.

B) A big truck passing near one of the seismometers can easily trigger the alarm.

c) Saturn farts and trigers the sirens