OK I have about 400 photos and they are all named automatically by the camera. I want to rename them - all in the same order..... is there any way to simply do that instead of manually going in to rename each image?

Thanks!

Adobe CS2's Bridge perhaps? Or Photoshop CS1's Browser? Not 100% sure if you can do it, but both support doing things with batch files, I'm pretty sure it includes names, though maybe not what you're wanting. At least you can tag them with categories. If I get a chance I'll check for you.

Anyone else know?

IrfanView is a great little freeware image viewing utility with a whole range of editing options, including File > Batch Conversion/Rename.

Download and install it, but just be careful which options you select when installing it. It might include some commercial shite that you don't want.

if you have time to look into it, there is a good list here:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/renamers/

I like Better File Rename because it handles any type of file out there (not just images). For my own photos, I use a simple PHP script to read the EXIF jpeg data and rename according to date-time, eg DSC0001.jpg -> 2005.06.04_13.01.43.jpg

back to work...