Anyone do any "traditional Japanese" things for obon?

(I don't mean queueing for trains and stuff more like spend time with Japanese family and take part in whatever it is they do for obon).

I spent my Obon resisting my mother-in-law's attempts to keep me and my son away from water because of the vengeful spirits known to reside there over that period. I got pretty pissed off after a while. "Demo, (significant yokome eye-contact) kyotsukesaiya!" Watching the old dear hobbling about busying herself making meals for people who aren't there when she clearly needed a rest herself also got me a little exasperated.

Watching local fireworks was fun, as was seeing what a little yankee my wife's friend's daughter has become.

I also enjoyed watching the priest in his silly, hot, old-fashioned dress wrestling with the front gate and taking about five minutes to get it open.

After spending an Obon being plagued by ridiculous Buddhist superstitions, I was quite surprised at the strength of my anti-clerical feelings.

Obon is a festival for the dead. The spirits return home apparently, and the bad ones pull at your legs when you go for a swim (although they don't infest baths). You have to feed them with little meals although they don't appear to have much appetite for material food. They like nothing better than the sound of a man in a see-through dress saying "Unbun unbun deebun unbun dabun drunbun - ting!"