Well, VJ brings with it a load of Japan end of war news and things here. One thing that the same bloke every year keeps on going on about is - why can't Japan "shazai" about the atrocities in the Far East.

As I don't understand Japanese, I really don't know. Can someone shed any light on this one for me? If Japan expresses deep remorse (admitting things), what are the reasons from stopping issuing a "shazai"? This war veteran seems to be saying that a shazai would make such a big difference.

Cheers

I don't pretend to know much about all this and the nuances in the language, but I have asked a few Japanese friends about it and answers ranged from "pride" to "it would open up a can of worms and cost a fortune in handouts". I'd be interested to know more about it all myself actually.

I don't fully understand either, but I believe the thinking goes "We personally didn't commit the atrocities ourselves, and therefore to apologize deeply ourselves would be an act of insincerity. Therefore, please accept our statement as the successor government that we think it wasn't a very nice thing to do (even though we believe the Chinese made it all up, and we were just trying to help those dumb lazy Koreans)."

Personally I think waiting on an apology is a waste of emotional energy and puts yourself again at the mercy of somebody who has already failed to show any...

I had never heard of VJ day until reading this and the intelligently discoursed 'bomb' thread.

(can something be ‘intelligently discoursed’?)

Unrelated:

>>Personally I think waiting on an apology is a waste of emotional energy and puts yourself again at the mercy of somebody who has already failed to show any...

Excellent rational logic.