Anyone here from or know the northern part of Australia - in particular the region round Broome > Pender Bay?

A good friend of mine is moving out there and it might be somewhere I will want to be going sometime in the not too distant future.

Fosters, XXXX, Tooheys, Westend all suck.

Coopers Sparkling (red), Pale (green), & dark are my favs.

Don't mind a Cascade (prem) or a Jimmy B either.

Crownies are ok, and VB & Carlton draught taste great after a surf..

Well, in Broome or Pender Bay, he's going to have a choice of Swan Export, Emu Bitter or VB to wash down the pies.

Broome is three days drive north of Perth. Return air fare won't be much cheaper than to London, or there's a bus. If you want to get around, you'll need decent wheels. Broome is set in the dry tropics. In summer is horrible climate, 40 in the shade and humid. Winters are warm and dry. The vegetation is scrubby open woodland/savannah to the north and east, Great Sandy Desert to the south.

Broome itself is pearling town, with some Japanese influence, because there have been several generations of pearl divers migrate there. It used to have some rustic Australian venacular charm, but the old town has been overwhelmed by tourists, mainly the Grey Tide. The beach is supposed to be special, but in WA, 100km of uniniterrupted golden sand is standard isssue. They have a 10 metre tide range, so don't expect to swim or dive at spring tide.

There's plenty to see. The Fitzroy River (a monster) has cut an extensive gorge downstream of Fitzroy crossing. Then there's the Bungle Bungles, and all of the Kimberly to see. Rugged terrain, rich in Aboriginal Rock art.

The Great Sandy Desert is magic, but going in is a no no unless properly equipped and with someone experienced. Further south still is the Pilbara, my favourite Australian landscape. Cliffs of 1.8 billion year old Banded Iron Formations, still lying flat after all that time, dissected by steep gorges, with streams and pools of crystal clear water.

There are currently some very interesting pictures available on Ogrish of two blokes who went into the Great Sandy Desert and bided awhile without drinks.

> VB & Carlton draught taste great after a surf..

That means they compare well with salt water and runny snot, right? Always a strong recommendation for a beer. (I expect our late Great Sandy Desert friends were tormented in their final hours by VB & Carlton mirages...)

If you can get it try Little Creatures Pale Ale, one of Australias best beers IMHO. It's a small brewery based in Fremantle (south of Perth), and boy is it tasty. Even a smart-arse like Ocean couldn't help but be impressed ;\)

I hope to be heading up to Ningarloo Reef and the Pilbara region pretty soon. A magical part of the world from all reports Pie-eater. I don't think you would be disapointed if you made the trip,it's like a different world out there.

I'm afraid, Dims, that us Brits, esp. the ale drinking variety, can be very hard to please. I was pointed in the direction of Little Creatures pale ale, and it doesn't come close to a good English pint. Dark Isles IPA, PA and bitter are pretty good, but, again, the style is geared more to local tastes (probably a good marketing ploy, that) with more fizz and a colder serve.

I've given up the search, and have decided to brew my own. I have found a great local brewers shop that provides a huge range of ingredients, and even have a mill out back. In four weeks time I'll have to suffer LC's, Dark Isles, Coopers, etc. no more. (I'm not really saying they're crap, just not really what us Brits would associate with real ale, the style is very different).

On a similar note... I could get Tassie wines cheaper in Japan... argggghhhh!

Pah, there's no pleasing you people. \:D

So miteyak, how are you finding Tassie life for far? Bloody cold day in Tassie today I hear. Must be a bit of snow on the Mountain I gather.

As for Tassie wines, I'm suprised you could find them cheaper in Japan. BWS bottle shops in Hobart have pretty good specials most of the time. Cellar door prices are usually much cheaper if you can get to the wineyards. Take a drive up the Tamar wine route and go on a shopping spree. Unfortunately the demand for good Tassie wines has driven the price up considerably.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
On a similar note... I could get Tassie wines cheaper in Japan... argggghhhh! [/QB]
But are you talking about the cheap shit? Coz some stuff from SA here is damn cheap but it's the premium wines though.

Dims, U going up to Gnarloo?
Siiick up there..

I'll somewhat eat my words here as I tuck into a James Squire strong ale, top stuff, but still a lttle too gassy for my taste.

Indosnm, I like the good stuff, spent a good bit of time buying cellar door, I know my wines to a degree... If you know where to buy in Japan, high quality Aussie wines are very reasonable. I am comparing Tassie wines though. My personal pref. is the Barossa valley et al. Many Tassie pinots are greatly over valued/rated here (esp. compared to the mainland, sorry Dims...), but there is some wheat in the chaff...

Dims, yes, I'm saying BWS and 9/11 are more expensive for identical wines in Japan... strange but true! I've only done the cellars around Hobart, not had time to get to the Tamar valley yet, but I intend to soon.

Generally liking it here, pretty cold today, with Welly covered down to four hundred meters. I'm living on top of Mt. Nelson, and it snowed here for a few hours today. They say we'll have snow at sea level tonight, first time in 19 years!

Wow that will be beautiful Miteyak, and bloody cold!!

I hope you really enjoy living in Hobart. It is a great little city with quite a bit of charm once you get to konw the place. I really like the Hill street grocer in West Hobart, Jackman and McRoss bakery in Battery point and Wursthaus in Salamanca for heaps of nice gourmet food. Some of the meat in Wursthaus is fantastic (but expensive). A friend of mine also runs a nice restaurant called Gondwana in Battery Point that I reccommend highly. Ask for Shane and say Dims sent you ;\)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to meet a few of the "colourful" locals. Good for a beer and a laugh on most nights.

Good luck mate!

I will def be going to Gnarloo Indo, a couple of boards will be coming with me in the Rex. Just have to watch out for Noahs right?