If you can make difference on speaking those words below, you are good at speaking Japanese \:\)

#1 --- Kirei (pretty) and Kirai ( to dislike )

#2 --- Kowai (scary) and Kawaii (cute)

#3 --- anago (sea eel) and onago ( female )

What's your story to make difference to pronounce similar J words?

No problem with the above, Gamera but you are right some words are really difficult. I have difficulty with

婚約 こんやく konyaku (engagement)

and

蒟蒻 こんにゃく konーnyaku (the jelly-like food - I don't know the English name)

What do you find difficult? My boyfriend had trouble in English with

crab & club

and

want & won't.

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:

#1 --- Kirei (pretty) and Kirai ( to dislike )

#2 --- Kowai (scary) and Kawaii (cute)

#3 --- anago (sea eel) and onago ( female )
I didn't know Kirai. And I could never remember the word for female. In fact I found references to gender quite confusing.

Many years ago, my female Japanese friend used to have difficulty with peanuts and penis (or so she told me).

tsondaboyb- try "oshogatsu ni shoga nai node sho

gakko no shoji wo harikaete souji shima shita" \:\)

me jane - How about kon-yoku (mixed onsen) :p

Indosm - yeah, especially when British people pronounce "can", i wonder it might sound like c*n't. But I don't think they talk about it to me. Work and walk - exactly hard for beginners, but once you start exercising the difference, this is not that hard.

NPM - a tongue twister " A mouse with a big mouth took a bath on the bus" works \:\)

oyuki- another tongue twister " She sells sea shells by the sea shore" works, but this is sometimes kinda hard for me even now.

BPC - onago is kinda old word, so you don't hear it often nowadays.

One of my foreign friend told me that he mistook something - he wanted to say omimai (visiting someone in hospital) but he did omiai (a meeting with a view to marriage)

nose - hana

flower - hana

I think it depends on the dialects, -20.7

If it's Osaka where i was born, means nose when people pronounce it like "hana"(no stress). And it means flower when they do like "HAna"(stress on HA).

But I'm confused when Tokyoite speak about them. It sounds same to me. Both sounds like "haNA". And exactly it's more like a musical interval difference than stress. I hope my description is pretty understandable.

gamera, nope its not new slang, though it could only be used by ossan in Hiroshima but doubt that cuz I spoke with a teacher in Kansai and he knew what it was... maybe I just know too much sukebe japanese \:o

But, if thats the case, just blame it on the girls I know... ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
maybe I just know too much sukebe japanese \:o
Hahaha ok, Yama. Probably I don't know the word then, but perhaps I can imagine what kind of thing it is.

Behave!!! :p

> Many years ago, my female Japanese friend used to have difficulty with peanuts and penis (or so she told me).

What's the difficulty with that? It's easy to remember the difference. After all, only one of them is something that you cram into your mouth by the fistful.

(I really, really tried not to post this. Honestly.)