Shimba,

I had the same problem and contacted their customer support. I got my copy about 4 days after ordering. Here is what they told me, hope it helps out:

"You can order it online by substituting UT and 84124 for the State and Zip fields. Just make sure you include a physical address for delivery and a daytime phone number. It is probably not a bad idea to re-enter the important info in the "instructions" field so that we can double check everything."

If you need more help, try contacting them via their contact page:

http://www.bdel.com/custserv/

The video looks interesting but I gotta ask: You dig the snow pit for one run down a slope? First you gotta snow shoe up there, then dig a snow pit, then decide if its safe? What if its not? How do you get back down? Either way, sure seems like a lot of work for one run down the mountain...

I guess the part that interests me would be a section that tells me what slope angle/terrain is likely to avi, then go somewhere else.

How many folks here actually carry shovels, saws etc and then dig snow pits before their runs?

I think that its more likely that one hole gets dug at the start of the day before a full day of skiing. I usually do a rutchblock test in a place where I'm likely to get the worst results (steep convex and leeside). If thats ok then just about anywhere is good to go, if not then have to stick to the flatter stuff or go hit the table.

When I truly go into the backcounrty I carry everything and usually dig pits for the different aspects I am going to ski.

But if it's to dangerous you may just have to retreat down the path you came up. Even if you have to retreat though it certainly beats any day at a resort.

The video doesn't seem that cheesy; it has people like Bruce Tremper talking about snow pits, etc. Anyway, a good intro for newbies like myself.

Speaking of Bruce Tremper, I picked up his book:

"Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain"

on Amazon.co.jp

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898868343/250-2127866-9861858

Good stuff, clear and very detailed..

Quote:
Originally posted by RayInJapan:
How many folks here actually carry shovels, saws etc and then dig snow pits before their runs?
The ones that are the least likely to be caught in avalanches. You would be surprised by the lengths that educated people go to to ensure their safety. While going to the extent of doing a rutshcblock may seem like overkill for just one run dropping over "the backside" if other signs point to danger or if you are in a particularly susceptible place it is worth it.

Anything much above 25 degrees will avalanche given the right conditions. Digging a snow pit does't take that much time. Maybe 15-30 minutes for a ruschblock, shovel shear test and a quick poke around for weak layers.

Also I sometimes find you can get wildly different results from two ruschblock tests that are only a few metres apart. I think that maybe multiple quickies are the way to go.

I usually will check all day if I'm out. Every once and awhile, just stick your pole as deep as you can and feel the layers. It's not hard to feel a crust and it only takes a second. Do this every half hour or so. But everyone should know the area they are going into and what type terrain, general snow conditions etc BEFORE they even leave home. If you don't think you have time to dig a pit for just one run, you shouldn't be there in the first place. Agree with Toque, even a bad day in the backcountry beats an excellent in bounds day. The peace and beauty are worth it alone.