Does anyone have experience of SNOW CAMPING near GALA Yuzawa??

I snow camped once in Yuzawa - on top of a musy frozen daikon patch.

I have a 4-season tent with internal guys, Therma-rest, down sleeping bag etc.

Niigata snow storms pack a punch - let's hear from people who've been through a bit of weather in a tent near Yuzawa.

Are you talking parking lot camping or actual snow camping? I have no experience in Yuzawa, actullay have no clue where it is. What are your specifics? Probably some people on here who could help if you'd give a bit more info on what your looking to do. I've got the feeling you're looking to pass on the hotel cost. Rent a van, sleep in it, good to go.

Dude, what do you need to know. You got the tent and the bag and you're in Japan which when it comes right down to it never gets really cold. I've camped under the stars at minus 30 with just a good bag and a pile of straw. (The straw was provided be the organisers of a two day x-c ski marathon that I was doing.) Just go for it.

Chris

Camping provides more intense experiences of nature than staying in a hotel - as in - what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Nabe dinners and lots of hot chocolate boost morale!

I am just wondering about good spots to pitch.

For example - is it possible to camp near GALA Yuzawa?

So are you camping at the resort? If so then I have to go with Rach there. If there is cheap places to stay then stay there.

If your actually going into the mountains to camp by yourself then that is also very fun. I love winter camping. Waking up with a warm body but cold nose. I love that feeling.

I know what your talkin about.

I plan to dig a kamakura and sleep in the hills (prob not too far from the ski resort for the ease of access) some time next month. Its not about saving money in this case as I could sleep in my van or in my house (30 mins away).

Also good practice for if I want to go on a bigger mission into the mountains.

Snowcaves, great little things and remarkably warm.

It has crossed my mind several times to dig a lttle complex not too far from a resort. maybe establish a little 'village'. With a steady stream of people, one could maintain it all winter...

Any takers, i've already got a suitable (hakuba) venue... \:D

Just thinking last night about how mcuh I miss snow camping... snowcaves are the bomb, too! woke up in the night a little disoriented and thought my fellow cave-dwellers had played a joke on me and my ex, as a new wall had been built at my feet. figured they`d dig us out in the morning. Turned out I was just a little disoriented and the cave opening was at my head... strange night.