Yes, and pretty cool too. Soon one may not have to choose between Mac and windows, software should be cross-functional... unfortunately, I want to buy a new Mac tomorrow, can't wait til summer 2006...

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Soon one may not have to choose between Mac and windows, software should be cross-functional...
is that a likely outcome of the intel chip decision?

Mr Guests, I think so.

It's put me in a quandry though. I need a new mac, and also need to buy some serious software... it's a capital investment I can't afford/don't want to slip into redundancy after a year or so... I may just go over to the 'other' side. :rolleyes:

Too right about the powerbooks, I believe the lack of a G5 powerbook has been a serious glitch in Apples product lineup, another point that nearly drove/may drive me to windows.

Dual OSes? Not at this point. According to Apple you won't be able to run the Mac OS on a non-apple intel machine. And that makes sense - they make a lot of their money from hardware - they're not likely to want their OS run on other people's hardware. It's very likely that they'll be working together with Intel on the hardware, since they hold patents on various hardwares, and will bring out something incorporating yet-to-be-released intel chips rather than anything on a current P4.

Someone high up at Apple, (Vice CEO?) said in an interview when asked about running Windows on an Apple machine - that someone may wind up figuring out how to do it, but Apple won't be.

Miteyak - your software will be supported over the next few years and then, you'd probably have to upgrade it - but then you no doubt upgrade when new versions of software come out anyway.

There's an app called Rosetta that allows PPC machines to run Intel chip, you probably know about that.

I was reading around on some boards yesterday and it was pointed out many times that Apple (and other software companies) have a solid history of supporting older Macs and OSes - even though new Intels will begin shipping next year, it will still take several more years before the user base proportions become mainly Intel. And while there's still a large PPC user base software companies (including Apple) are going to be supporting PPC.

What software were you going to get? I'm sure you'll be still okay for the amount of time you were planning to keep your new computer before the announcement. Though in a short time you'll no doubt be dying to have one of those new screaming dual CPU dual core Mactels. At any rate remember - the G3 is still able to run current software, albiet perhaps it's not always powerful enough (depending on what the software is for). But souped up G3s with upgrade cards are running Tiger......

So don't be in a hurry to jumpt to the 'other' side just yet.

Yes - powerbooks - it'll be great for something comparable to a G5 to be coming out finally. I suspect that might even be one of the first off the starting block.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
Someone high up at Apple, (Vice CEO?) said in an interview when asked about running Windows on an Apple machine - that someone may wind up figuring out how to do it, but Apple won't be.
I use windows on my mac by using Virtual PC. Are you talking about something else?

Yes. People had been wondering if the move to Intel will allow people to run mac and windows systems side by side on the same computer rather than using emulating software.

Sunrise, was in sofmap today and nearly dropped a wad (G5 2.0 Dual)... deciding between saving a few pennies on a secondhand one or not held me back, however. Not really bothered by the news, i'll stick with mac 'cause it's easy, and what I know. As for software, creative suite and Archicad, or, hopefully, something similar but cheaper. Need a 3D design package, but not the kind where you have to do all the work yerself! I haven't really looked around or sampled any goods yet (other than bryce and strata). Once i'm unemployed, I should have plenty of sampling time (while sampling the local fruits of the vine, no doubt).

It's really not going to be much different to going from G5 to G6 (or G4 to G5) - new architecture meaning the developers will need to write software that supports the newer and the older architectures as they've always done.

Oh yes, out in the Tasmanian wilds I'm sure you'll have oodles of time to play around - if you're not too busy enjoying the wilderness and feeling anti-computer lol.gif

CS - ah yes, big outlay that one.

Here's some fun looking easy to use 3D software:

http://www.cosmicblobs.com/index.html

for kids - probably nothing a pro like you would ever use, but hey, only $40 or so \:D

But kidding aside, check out this wonderful 3D plugin for photoshop called Aurora, by digital element. Does natural elements which you can add to your own images. Easy to use, and it supports PS layers which makes it very interesting. Now that one, you might be able to utilize in your work. Oops, getting carried away, but I think you might like it. They also make other 3D stuff - Worldbuilder, though I'm not sure what it's like, haven't got it.

Another pretty wild and interesting program worth looking at is called Artmatic by U&I Software. Made by one of the original Bryce creators. I doubt this is anything like what you might have in mind or need, but very cool, nonetheless. The U&I website info is pretty thorough.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Indosnm, how are you finding the virtual PC. Have you tried to run any design software from it? How stable have you found it to be?
Miteyak...
I am only really using Virtual PC because the course that I am doing is using some crap program that's windows only for our resource CD. Other than that I don't have any need to run windows on my mac. All my design stuff I run on mac. Not that I have time for all that now!

I made the plunge, now sitting next to my new G5 dual 2, in front of my new cinema display (just the 20 though), eyeing up the 3D recommendations, thanks guys... most of them seem to have unrestricted 30 day demos so time to get busy.

If only the boring office job would just... disappear