Being pretty new to teles I`ve just generally thought I sucked, but now that I:ve been going without the monster packs and doing the resort skiing, man, It`s so easy...

to bad it means that your not in the middle of nowhere with no one around but a couple of friends and unending mountains. hmm. wish there were a middle ground.

Yeah, an overnight pack makes a hellova difference... very humbling

Middle ground would be a day pack/day trip methinks. The options for really getting somewhere wild in a day are at their peak here in japan early and late season, as access roads open up. I used to take the mountain bike along to get as high as possible before skinning up.

As the huts open too, expensive but lightweight trips become easier.

Norikura offers a fairly good middle ground. You just take the lift as far up as you can. and then start hiking. It's about 2.5-3 hours to the top. If you get the resort map they actually have the trail marked on it. It shows up as a little squigly line going up through the tree line.

Chris.

Norikura is open pretty much all year (permanent snow). From Golden Week you can catch a bus up to about half way between the peak and the ski area. A few years ago a mate and I went up : plenty of snow up high and lots of people. There wasn't enough snow to snowboard back to the ski area parking so we ended up waiting for the bus - about an hour or so. Good fun overall though. I keep meaning to go back late Winter though. Don't forget the sunscreen - I did and ended up with suppurating blisters over most of my face.

Oh yeah, skiing with a huge pack SUCKS! A good midsize daypack works well. IF you ski camp, pull a sled. Much easier on the back although still difficult, much more comfortable. Personally, I usually have stayed in huts or yurts. In Colorado it's cheap and pretty easy.

I'd like to try some other peaks as so far it's the only one I've done. I've gone up it about four times this year so I am definatley in need of variety if anyone knows of some other good ones.

As for Norikura, its past Matsumoto next to kamikochi. There are two ways of getting there as far as I know. Either from the Kiso valley and follow the signs to Kamikochi until you see the turn of for Norikura or from Mtsumoto and follow the signs from Kamikochi again.

Chris

You can also get through from Gifu, tunnel under to Kamikochi and continue down the valley.

Shin hotaka ropeway'd be a goodie. The resort below is now closed, so lots of room, no groomers. Also short hike to the hut and then the kamikochi playground awaits...

Majority of Japan classic routes are day trips, with some overnight options. For close to Tokyo routs are Hotaka Oguna, Kagura, and Tenjin. And you can count much more if Nagano and Fukushima are included. I typically pack my day stuff in 25-30L pack, usually that is more than enough.

Powder Guide, the new mag. shows good details on some of the more famous routs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Telechick.

Certainly getting out on day trips with a smaller/lighter pack makes a HUGE difference. Trust me. Been there done that. I still haul big sometimes, but not too often. I used to take a mid-size pack with all the extra safety gear for big day trips. I've trimmed it down for smaller day trips and I'm surprised how small and light my pack is. Of course, I still take essential emergency and avo stuff.

Lighten up (litterally) and enjoy the ride (no pun intended, but it does seem to fit).

yeah, looking forward to some backcountry trips this spring. I'm still pretty new to the tele game, and compared to 20 years of alpine experience, 2 years of teles is always humbling, even on the resort. Can't wait to flail and try to get up with a 50 pound pack...YAY!

And TELEDUDE, Norikura is awfully close to ASAHIMURA. There's only one of those in Japan, right? lol.gif

I should hope so. There's a plethora of other Asahi's though. I'm in Yamagata. Where I am we've been getting snow but rain on some days which means sunken ice layers underneath. But today is constant rain.