Top 10 Restaurants....in the WORLD

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

This reminded me of this thread:

French President Jacques Chirac is reported to have cracked jokes about British food at a meeting with the German and Russian leaders.

French newspaper Liberation says Gerhard Schroeder and Vladimir Putin laughed and joined in the banter.

"One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad," it quotes Mr Chirac saying.

A spokesman for Mr Chirac said the report did not reflect "the tone or the content" of the meeting, but stopped short of issuing a categorical denial.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1187992,00.html

Here are some balanced English views. Crack me up, they do. No back bone, dropping rifles... all French people eat are snails (even though the to restaurant in the world, and English one and the topic of this thread, serves snail porridge).

I love the opinion of the every day suburban man:

Quote:
Oh yes he is quite right. British food is terrible and French food is certainly the best in the world. Fish and chips compared to a lovely tasty serving of greasy snails and frogs legs.. there's no comparison now is there!

Andrew, Portsmouth

Quote:
As I am tucking into a full English breakfast at this moment in time and I will be having Steak and chips later it makes me think is our food is tasteless,well at least we dont eat snails and frogs legs.

Tom, Portsmouth

Quote:
I am absolutely outraged by Mr Chirac's comments. It makes me want to declare war on France myself. Oh.. Hold on? what's that? They've surrendered.

D Brooks

Quote:
What a cheek, French food has to be the most disgusting and bland tasting food in all of Europe, even their McDonald's tastes worse than the bag it comes in.

Alwyn

I went to crud-hole St Albans last weekend on Saturday evening to meet a mate in a pub. before drinking I wanted to eat, just something quick but quality. After searching the inner town area and finding the 3 food serving places packed to the gills (due to lack of alternatives) I had to settle for every Londoner's favourite franchise.... Pizza Express.

I have never had to do that in any small town in France, ever.

Oh yeah, I was turned away from the pub! "Sorry mate, no trainers". Trainers? At the risk of sounding like a prat I wont say what brand of foot wear I was wearing... but they were not trainers! As I walked off back to the train station, gut full of Pizza Express washed down with a warm Stella, I noticed a stream of fat flabby painfully badly dressed slags running in and out of the towns pubs (of which there were about 15... 12 more than food places). They were all being chased by a bunch of 'lads' resplendent in a pair of cheap shiny leather shoes and a Ben Sherman shirt and the omnipresent wanna be old school messy hair Beckam hair-do. Obviously my fashion sense is in the gutter, just like the vomit I saw pouring from the mouth of fat slag #50. Gotta get them good beers in early.

My utterly classless ozzy bogan life long best mate is in town. He is about as discerning as a dog eyeing up it's own vomit. He doesn't make a fuss.... until he refused to pay for a meal he and his lady had at my local (apparently classy) 'cafe'. He simply flat refused and walked out.

By the way, regarding the famed and much Loved steak and chips in the UK: go to France and buy everyday food from a brasserie. You will get a choice of steak, duck, lamb or (usually spicy) sausages with fries. No sauce, just mustard. Sound's a lot like steak and chips to me.

Why did you choose warm Stella? Why did you choose Pizza Express? Why didn't you find a pub which sold fresh food and and decent beer?

I've been turned away from a half full restaurant in a small town in regional France. No lunch for you here sunshine. French beer? Far out.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Why did you choose warm Stella? Why did you choose Pizza Express? Why didn't you find a pub which sold fresh food and and decent beer?

I've been turned away from a half full restaurant in a small town in regional France. No lunch for you here sunshine. French beer? Far out.
Give me credit man, I was starving, food shortages.... I hungry stomach must be filled and I had already roamed the streets for 30 minutes. I didn't willingly choose pizza express, it was the only option... that is not uncommon at al. The joint was packed (and identical to the other ones I have been to, including the formulaic menu). Indeed very packed, seemed most of St Albans was 'out to dinner' that evening. Most towns and suburbs around Ldn have a Pizza Express along with about 4 other franchise cafes. Cafe Rouge is the most appalling franchise offender, it is an imitation French cafe and it right royally blows.... but there is one in every suburb. Everything is a franchise. The warm beer didn't surprise me, par for the course. And at places like that it is either stella or peroni. Not much choice.

Sorry, sorry. It's the war wound. 15 years of reading Sydney food critics travelling to the land of uk, and finding it is not Sydney.

I grew up in posr-war UK. Vegetables were boiled for half hour, or longer if not soft. Oranges were a christmas treat. Peaches came from tins.

Life is better now. Love it.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Sorry, sorry. It's the war wound. 15 years of reading Sydney food critics travelling to the land of uk, and finding it is not Sydney.
We/they do have a (bad) habit of doing that. Fair point.

People may say I have other problems ;\) but I think my problem is that I crave the yakiniku experience nearly every day.