Hey all,

myself and my boy are going to Niseko in Januray for 2 weeks.

we were wondering what local internet connections are like?

If we took laptops can we connect at a local cafe or can you by pre-paid internet set-ups?

Its much cheaper to keep in contact with home this way....!

if anyone knows please let me know!

Thanks guys!

sam. \:\)

When I first visited here last year.. I arranged an account with GOL.com (global online . com)...

Certainly not an endorsement but it worked for me for the time I needed it...

On the other hand why not just get a hotmail account and forward mail from home??

Most resort type hotels will offer Internet service for guests...

How about it Talisker... any internet cafes in Niseko??

I signed up for GOL before I left Oz. Everything went through but the account wasnt activates until I provided an address in Japan. For me it was about the equiv. of aud30

best to check if they have a dial up connection in the area that you want to go.

I think you'll find good connections even in country places now. Whether you can connect to them or not is a different matter, I've never really noticed internet cafes in snow towns before. (*Admittedly I haven't been looking!)

Your snowboards no weigh enough that you want to weigh yourself down with computers?!

Bite the bullet, leave the computers at home and accept to have a wait a few minutes to behind someone else at one of the many places up in Niseko to check the net!

Besides with all the partying and boarding you will be doing e-mail will be a nothing more than a passing dream in otherwise perfect 2 weeks!

yes i admit it will be a perfect 2 weeks but hows the thought of filming ur self snowboarding going back to ur place editing it and sending it home!?

i know my family would appreciate it!

Just a thought at the moment anyways!

Thanks Yalll!!! :p

Hey on this topic...Do most of you have cell phones in japan over your traditional land line? How much for service and phone(roughly)? Also is it worth lugging out my labtop(about the size of a japanese appartment) or are they relativly cheaper than the states...?

I believe there are few places in Niseko that will give you the access. B's cafe, NAC 2F may be.

If you are going to sign up with GOL, the name of the nearest town would be Kuchan- local call from Niseko. If Sapporo, it is a long distance.

I would recommend to check with the hotel if you have access to land lines. Small lodges do not have phones in each room.

freak_snow_girl,

Also keep this in mind...

I have ADSL in Japan (quite cheap) and tried to email 2 minutes of footage = 10MB and couldnt as my server rejected it as being to large to send as an email attachment. To get it to 10MB I had to create a .jpeg file at the lowest level of quality, and it was crap. At the highest level of quality the 2 minute file was 80MB!!

With this in mind I wouldnt bother trying to send digital video footage home. Obviously photos are a different matter. However, I dont know about your camera, but neither of my digital thingy's (camera or video) work below about 1 degree as the battery is unable to output enough power!

At the instant of taking a photo the camera needs a really high burst of power. That is why digital cameras should use batteries designed for high bursts, not endurance.

The last time I used my camera in the cold I had to carry the batteries in my pocket and then quickly load them when i wanted to take a shot, then back into the pocket.

By the way, i am no computer expert, but i believe that .jpg files are already compressed, so zipping them wont actually reduce their size.

Yeah, meaning you're lucky if you get the thing even to stay switched on. You switch it on, press the button, and the thing closes up like a clam. Next time you turn it on, it tells you you need to change the battery, even though you recharged it fully before. When you get it back into a warm place, it will work properly again and the battery isn't drained at all. This applies to all digital cameras, including the ones that claim to be designed for extreme conditions - so don't be fooled by that.

Ahuh....

i got ya all..

i see what you mean...

i'd still like be able to send my stuff home...

jpgs are already compressed but u can use things like Stuff it (for a mac which im on) to compress a folder full of them

zip and stuff it would only be an option of digital footage (mpegs) or .movs etc.

have any of you managed to get a connection in any of the resorts?

ta guys

I don't know much about the net access up in Niseko, but with the way ADSL here in Tokyo is generally slow even at 12Mbs etc. I think you are gonna spend more time using your dial up than you will actually being out on the slopes riding!

If you are gonna use a digital camera keep it close to your body and you shouldn't have too much problem. Mine seems to work just fine.

mogski,

thats what i figured... i got kinda concerned when they were saying DV cams wont work etc. cause i just spent $1600 on one! that take stills too....

i was planing on riding with it under my jacket there for its close to warmth and body heat so it should be ok hey?

i dont quite know what to do bout the internet thing, do the internet cafes if there are any do they allow you to connect ya lappy up to there network? i know they dont let people do that here in Auss?

mmm...?

My guess is no they won't let you and yeah you should try your camera although watch out for really cold days and have a couple of spare batteries cause they will most likely drain real quick. (I go through two fully charged batteries in a day most of the time.)

As for the problem with sneding stuff are you using a laptop with a CD-RW? If so may I suggest a harmonay of digital and anaolgue. Record the movies on the CD's and send these home via EMS(courier like mail service that is reasonable.) Probably spend the same amount of money on dial up connection anyway.

Or...revert back to those days before you had internet and a computer and leave the puter at home, record the goods and do it all when you get back!

My vote defintely goes to the later!

my lappy dosent havet a CDRW...

even if we dont have internet connection i think i will still take my lappy cause then i can download all the images and DV footage to the computer at night so i can reuse the card or film the next day other wise it will be too expensive for me to get more memory sticks...

i need to by another battery but i'd rather not spend anymore on memory i have an 8mb card which stores mpegs an jpgs a fair few like 40 jpgs goodish quality so i would fill that pretty quick....

i mean i would have a normal camera with film to but i donno....!!!

whats the night life like up there anyways??

Sam,

Wait till you get here to purchase any memory sticks.... usually flash media, compact flash, memory sticks etc.., are about 30% cheaper here in Japan...

I am surprised that Talisker hasn't gotten in on this thread yet.. he's in Niseko and I am sure could fill you in on the local info ( night life / internet conection )... perhaps he's away... knew he was going to be in Sapporo over the weekend...

The standards for flash media is universal and you will have no pronlem finding a card at a good price - and potentially duty free as well...

Compact flash, smart media, memory stick, super disk... anything you need they got and a at considerable discount compared to overseas...

I could check a price for you if you let me know the type...