Funny things ^ The Young Ones

A mate of mine came back from his holidays the other day and brought back a DVD of The Young Ones and Bottom. Anyone out there remember them - Viv, Rik, Neil and WhoTheF*IsThatMikeBloke?

I had fond memories but was, alas a little let down on watching the first one. We watched the rest after some beers and it got MUCH better. Funny how sometimes its best not to re-watch stuff like that. Unless ya drunk.

Any other blast from the past funny osusumes out there?

Some really funny bits, some terrible bits (mostly when Mike was on screen). Same with Bottom.

Any good Japanese comedy anyone can recommend?

I remember many conversations that went like this;

"Did you see the Young Ones last night?!"

"No, we haven't got a telly."

(The usual outraged reaction, the stream of silly questions, capped by "What do you DO in the evenings then?")

"Well anyway, Neil, right, puts a plastic bag over his head, and Rik..."

"Shut up and go away..."

Yes, you had to have seen it, and even if you had, it wasn't really that much of a scream.

I also remember nearly dying of laughter watching the Two Ronnies after hot knifing an 8th of black moroccan. Sublime comedy it was...

The first ever episode is the only thing that has ever made me laugh so hard I had to leave the room. It was Vyvian's original entrance. If I remember correctly, he crashes through the wall, says he's been down the morgue, has a fight with the Glaswegian hamster (forget the name) then kicks the sink when asked to wash his hands.

The second series was probably better than the first, which says a lot for Ben Elton and the other writers (Alexei Sayle?). The University Challenge one "Bambi" was my favourite. "Ra Ra Ra! We're going to beat the oinks!"

Some of the jokes "Have we got a vid-hi-oh?" are topical and so won't mean much now. The same will doubtlessly be true of Ali G in ten years time and even high-brow stuff like Private Eye.

As someone from Newcastle, the classic 80s humour for me is Viz Comic. It was only the first dozen or so that were really killer and it should have wound up ages ago, but it was fantastic in its heyday. Some of the little touches, like the shed adverts, are sublime.

Not ha-ha funny but I wouldn't mind saying Dangermouse again. If there's a DVD available, maybe I'll force on my kids when I have them.

Second series better, agreed on that. Viv was so funny.

Viz - now that brings back memories, still going I wonder? I thought that went downhill from its beginnings just before I came out to Japan way back when.

For the most part, not really that funny, especially now when you watch it all these years later. There were some brilliant moments from (especially) Viv and Rik (the Human League dance in the party episode has special meaning...), but few and far between.

No need to comment on the lamentable Mike.