Off Topic - Star Wars - good or not.

I just can't understand why its so popular. I saw it again last night on tv and it was cheesy (that's for you cheeseman), poor acting and just not very good.

Why is it so popular? Anyone help me out here?

I caught a few minutes of it as well-the body armour on the imperial troops looked like cheap plastic , which is probably exactly what it is. When it came out in 1977 it was super cool but it seemed pretty lame to me when I saw it last year. Darth Vader is still a good bad guy-randomly killing his own men and all that. Battlestar Gallacktica was the cream of the cheese.

I caught a few minutes of it as well-the body armour on the imperial troops looked like cheap plastic , which is probably exactly what it is. When it came out in 1977 it was super cool but it seemed pretty lame to me when I saw it last year. Darth Vader is still a good bad guy-randomly killing his own men and all that. Battlestar Gallactica was the cream of the cheese.

Very dated now, and very cheese.

Phantom Menace was a bit poo too, but the new one actually looks quite interesting.

Spiderman has broken all records in it's opening weekend hasn't it....

Luke Skywalker is far too weak and plain to appeal to adults. Leia's a pain, and given Carrie Fisher's off-screen antics, she could've been a lot wilder. The baddies and Hans and Chewy are cool, but Indiana Jones or the Blade Runner character make far better use of the Harrison Ford of that era. I mean Hans Solo - white shirt and black waistcoat? Just like someone from Status Quo.

The best space flick by miles is "2001", which was made in the Sixties. There's a Leonard Rossiter (Reggie Perrin/Rigsby) cameo as well for all you nostalgia-seeking Brits. Read the book if you don't get the story.

There's an ASCII art remake of Star Wars knocking about on the Internet. The acting's as good as the original! It's amazing to see what some people do with their time.

Saw it for the first time just the other night. Great film! (for those aged 4-11).

Luke Skywalker looks stoned and petulant, the very evil Darth Vader doesn't actually do anything particularly bad, and seems quite even tempered, and the Storm Troopers aren't at all menacing in their white underpants. Alec Guinness clearly prostituted himself and had no right to complain afterwards. Leia's loosely tethered breasts pretty much steal the show, but more should have been made of them.

The only redeeming feature is the various forms of wildlife, especially the scene with them all getting down in the bar (reminds me of the Cyprus Tavern in Manchester). I've been lent the box set, and I'm not looking forward to seeing the second part.

"UsE the FOrcE, luKe" Yeah, George, it's a marketing religion, innit?

They must have had fun coming up with those names.

Chewbaka - is that like chewing tobacco? Or maybe it's from the Japanese, 'chu baka', a middling kind of stupidity, as opposed to 'totemo baka', or full-on stupidity. 'Aaaeeeeerr'.

And that's Princess 'lay 'er' because that's what every teenager wanted to do.

Luke Skywalker. Luke S. Lucas. "Look George, you can't call your space hero 'George'! We won't give you the money if you do that."

• 2 months later...

Well, I saw the 'better' second one, and guess what? I thought I was watching the first one! Weird that.

OK, granted, the big 4-legged robots were cool. But that's it as far as credit goes.

Luke 'George' Skywalker just doesn't work as a hero. He's so lame. The whole 'Force' thing is pathetic too - a paper thin rip off of Zen. But even so, Luke is obviously not cut out to be a Jedi Knight. You can see Alec Guinness thinking "Look Son, I cringe every time you open your mouth. You're spoiled and petulant, you'll never make it. You're just too American to be a Jedi (and you keep pronouncing it 'Jed-eye' - it's 'Jeddy' you moron). And there's another thing Son - your acting. It's wooden, completely. Even this horrible green rubber caricature of me here acts better than you."

Well, I think I've just about had my fill of Star Wars. I think I'll watch more of Totoro Miyazaki's cartoons - the acting's much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...