I have a beginners pilot license (not Japanese!) and would love to try flying a Cesna over here.

Maybe not, and probably not possible, but I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about flying over here?

What I do know about flying here is that Japanese go to the US to do it. Can you imagine what crap you would have to go through to get permission to FLY in this country? Just getting my driver's license converted was an amazing palaver.

You would probably think it was really difficult - I'm not saying it isn't - but you have one huge thing on your side alreeady - english is the official language of flying and they even use it over here. So you need not worry about that. Some things to worry about though are the costs. Even though I am not exactly sure but I would assume an hour of flying in a Cessna would get near the $150+ range over here with the cost of gas. But there are some beautiful places to fly over here. Factor in no tolls in the skies and then you may almost have a deal.

I can only imagine how difficult it would be for a gaijin to get flying here. But good luck.

Quote:
pilots! oooooooooooooooooooooo!

What is it with pilots??? Aren't English teachers just as sexy?

confused.gif

I met an older gaijin once who said he ran tours over Osaka Bay out of Nagai airport (I think). He had a meishi, so I don't suppose he was making it all up. It was a long time ago, but I think he said he used helicopters not planes.

I have about 380hrs under my belt all in US. Honda owns an airport in Okegawa (Saitama, I think) and if you pick up a copy of Air Fan mag., there may be more info. on other FBO's with instruction services. And you can go to a web and buy jep charts for Japan - I don't think NOAA covers Asia. Good thing is communicaiton is in English, knots, feet, etc.. except alt. setting is expresed as QNH and in mm bars (instead of in. hg). If IFR, Japan has only a few VORs and many ADF stations (recommend to carry a back up GPS). Good luck

Sounds like pilot stuff to me.

Hey danz, WTF do you think of the ICR. Maybe we should R.T.Y. for next week or maybe QEWKJ. What do the think? Over and out.

RTY.34050300

IM - some good info there. Another thing - the weather here sometimes is not the greatest for flying. The summer is extremely hazy in places and often rainy as it is right now. The fall and winter are nice out there with excellent views to be had. The flying rules here are almost identical to back in the states so need not worry. Just many mountains out there so fewer airports.

Sorry for the lingo. Here is the translation.

1. You can get a flying map (jep charts) throu the web. US Government(NOAA)map may not cover outside of US.

2. Japan is set up for hight altitude commercial carrier flights. Navigational Aide stations(VOR/NDB) are few and far inbetween. So they may be behind hills for a small airplane to catch the signals so carrying a back up GPS is helpful.

Is this OK?

• 2 weeks later...

OzOzOz,

I have only flown a few time here in a small plane, but the air space is quite hostile to small planes - many restricted spaces. And ATC(air traffic control) hates small planes.

If you have access to planed in elsewhere, that may be better.