Yeah. Its called the Shobunsha Road Atlas of Japan available from most good bookstores for about 2000yen

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 03 July 2002).]

I had a look around on the web for this, but although some systems have English voice recognition, they all seem to have Japanese screens. The really useful thing to have is totally bilingual navigation aids, but they are very few.

I don't use my car navi much, but when I do, it's great.

They're very sophisticated, fully-featured electronic systems. Maybe you know the computer-world acronym RTFM (Read the F-ing Manual). It applies to navi systems too. If you don't, you're lost. The more you read of the six or seven manuals that come with the system, the more you get out of it.

I particularly like the homing function - "Take me home daddy-o!" - and it gives you the route to your house.

You can do searches for campsites, supermarkets, petrol stations, anything really.

But they can be dangerous too. There's something about following instructions while driving that tends to give you the feeling that you can ignore traffic lights and other indicators. "Sorry judge, I was only acting on orders" won't cut it.

Sounds interesting, how much do them things cost then?

(That's the FULL cost not just the cost without all the added very necessary extras).

I dunno frannyo, mine came with the 2nd hand car I bought. I wouldn't have got it otherwise, but now I've had one, I wouldn't buy a car without it. Not cheap though I expect...

They're more useful when you get over the novelty.

It's still often necessary to plan the route beforehand if you're going a long way. But once you've set your destination and any places you want to go to on the way, there's none of that dodgy map on the dashboard/ask the woman sort of behaviour.

And for short journeys in unknown territory, say from the campsite to the supermarket that isn't even on a paper map, there would be no other way of getting there without lots of asking of locals. For finding side roads to avoid traffic jams they're great too.

They're not a necessity, but then nor is broadband or a heated toilet seat.