buying a mansion for winter season

Montoya here,

I live in Tokyo, but have been thinking about buying a small mansion in Yuzawa.

Anybody have any recommendations for the

better fudosan agencies that can handle this?

Nihongo is no problem.

peace

When I went to yuzawa last winter, even on a weekend there wuz hardly anyone in the condos. They must surely be sellin em at (relatively) decent prices.

As cal said tho, too much money!

Timeshares in Japan? I've never heard of that. I bet the national holidays are snapped up quick.

You can't leave your gear and a cocktail cabinet in a timeshare. An easy stroll onto the Shinkansen with a sandwich and a book. Sounds pretty good to me.

Any joy montoya?

Montoya,

Next time I'm up there (probably in August) will get some names for ya. I own a small one in Iwappara and I do have to say, I do use them fairly often thoughout the year. It is handy since you don't have to make reservations. But monthly maintenance fee is 2 man. - a bit steep. I believe every place has some kind of fee like this.

My friends from Osaka got a resort mansion near Shiga Kogen for 6 mill several years ago. They're dinkies, and she works on lots of temporary contracts so she gets to spend a lot of the winter up there. I think the maintenance fee is 25000, but the car park/entrance gets cleared and they can use the onsen next door. They say it's not cheaper than hotels, but that the convenience is something else.

If you think 6 million yen is a vast fortune, try asking a fudosan in Tokyo, Osaka or London what it will get you. Alternatively, ask anyone with kids how many children you can raise with that kind of money.

Last time I looked a haf way descent one was going for JPY 4-6 mil. I use the place throughout the year (but you need an ac for the Summer). Summer - fishing, Mtn Bike, Fall- foliage, onsen, etc..