What do you all reckon on the refereeing boobies made at the Cup this time, footy fans?

While mistakes are only human, I just can't see why they don't have video-refs to help the ref in the games like they do in rugby. It just doesn't make sense, and I can't find an explanation as to why they don't have them anywhere. Anyone actually know?

Lets hope the last few games are ref'd well, not by some scally who can't keep up with the pace.

agreed...the instant replay could really come in handy...maybe the "football" world could learn something from our american football...

in american football coaches are allowed to challenge a ref. call...if a challenge is made they review the call on video...if the call stands, the challenging team loses a time-out...guess that part would have to change...but the idea is there...

anyway, bad referees are also part of the game...gotta take it as they call it...and stop whining...

danz

Agreed too.

I didn't know about the rugby deal scouser - how does it work? Didn't know about the american football thing either. But they sound necessary.

The biggest problem (out of many) is with the clearly-at-fault mistakes the refs made. Some of the calls are on the borderline and could be argued either way, but others are blatently incorrect (and could be seen to be on a video replay instantly) just like the Spain goal the other day.

It must really hurt to lose on that.

rolleyes.gif

And that means..?

The saddest thing is that the teams who progress because of the decisions (Korea) will always be seen on by some as if they did not deserve it.

Whether they actually did or not is another issue >>

[This message has been edited by cal (edited 24 June 2002).]

American football stops between plays anyway, so instant replay doesn't stop the action like it would with football, which shouldn't stop at all. It's part of the beauty of the game.

I think the question this time is: are there more refereeing errors than before or are there just more TV angles to show up what is a typical standard of refereeing?

I suspect it's the former. If it is, you just need better refs and linesmen. There are lots of cameras on Serie A, La Liga, the Premiership, etc., and they all belong to TV channels who've got nothing to lose by showing up bad refereeing. I don't recall there being the kind of controversy we've seen in the World Cup, which suggests the refereeing has been poor.

However, if the number of cameras in this World Cup has increased and this has shown us how bad normal refereeing is, it's time to look for a solution.

The offside rule has been complicated of late by increased leniency towards what can be interpreted as "interfering with play". When Inamoto scored against Russia, for example, I froze because Yanagizawa (I think) was at least a yard offside on the far side when the ball was played. The decision was right, of course, but it shows how difficult the job can be. Had I been the linesman, my flag would have gone up.

For starters, suspensions based on red cards should be subject to review. Ronaldinho should not have been sent off, and for him to miss the semi as well makes it a double injustice.

Here here, time for a change.

I didn't know they had that for ruggers, scouse-man, it makes a load of sense.

Tonight we find out if the refereeing is truly queer or not...maybe...

This tournament will surely go down in history as the tournament of the men with their top buttons done up.