I used to be really into it and went to several sumo events (my relatives are heavily involved in it), but when I found out about the fixing that goes on, I lost all interest.

I used to watch it when I first came here, but like klingon I got bored and never watch it now.

Aren't the numbers of Japanese watching it rapidly going down too, I thought I heard.

Well, I guess I'll just have to live with that then...

The thing is, you can take an intrinsically boring sport like F1, and if they go and fix it too, not only does it not excite you, it just pisses you off. See the thread about F1 on here for examples of pissed off people.

Sumo has exoticism and spectacle in its favour. The latter is especially true if you go and see it live. It actually seems quite fast-paced when you're there. But the sport itself is quite limited, and when that's faked and you know it, the exoticism just doesn't cut it. (Although if I was asked to go to watch a basho again, I'd go. I once went for 'dinner' at the 'stable' afterwards, and that was quite an eye opener.)

Football can nearly be spoiled by bad refereeing. It really pisses me off when the ref makes bad calls and pulls angry faces. But even that can't spoil the game entirely, because football has so much else to offer besides.

When you go to the sumo, once each tachiai starts, it's blink and you'll miss it. When I went to the Osaka basho, I got to sit on one of the tatami quite near the front where they bombard you with food and drink. Tea, beer, sake, yakitori (which was more like satay), amaguri, a bento, and mikan. When there's four of you squeezed onto a tatami juggling all those goodies, you've got to be on the ball just to see any of the action.

I've never done it, but you can visit many of the sumo stables to watch practice (keiko)

Here's an article from the JT about it.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?ss20010415a1.htm

[This message has been edited by NoFakie (edited 17 July 2002).]

The highlights are ok I guess, but it's a piss-poor substitute for rugby and cricket if you ask me. I once saw a smaller guy leap over the top of a huge mutha when they did the launch into each other bit. He got the big fella off balance and pushed him out of the ring but it's an illegal move and it ended in a draw I think. K1 is far more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...