has anyone got it? how fast is it? Is it expensive?

Got a friend whos in hospital for a long time ands gonna need something to do.

Do they allow them in hospitals as they dont allow cell phones cos they intefere with some equipment?

any info appreciated - I cant get much info from the shops as my japanese sux.

Don't know about the hospital info, sorry, but I have wireless at home.

Just an extra modem like thing on top of the usual ADSL modem. Cost about 15000 yen to setup, no extra charges on top of whatever you pay for your connection already. Basically no wires (duh!), and we can have 3 PCs online at the same time if we wish anywhere in the house.

Unless there is a "hot spot" specifically set up at the hospital for that use, your friend most likely won't be able to connect that way. The plug-in cards need to connect via a cellular network (either PDC or CDMA) which, as you mentioned, isn't allowed at hospitals.

Have you checked with the hospital to see if they have a network your friend can use? My guess is that the hospital rooms here are not connected. Good idea if they were though.

Have you or your freind perhaps contemplated the reasons the hosiptals don't have internet facilities?

YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO NOTHING IN HOSPITAL BUT LIE THERE AND GET BETTER!!!!

If you need to use the net while in hospital then the hospital that heals the body is no the right hosiptal!

Yes, and that is what I am talking about (in a way). A PC card or LAN equipped notebook is also necessary.

But Goemon is right - if you are talking out of your home, then you need somewhere that has a "hot spot" to be able to connect.

mogs, I dont know if he's contemplated much past "fk my legs are painful" yet. I dont think using the internet from your bed will slow down your recovary but it might help pass the 3 months he's gonna be sitting there.

The PHS card system called AirH is cheap for unlimited use, but if cell phones are banned, I would imagine it would be too.

I don't know anything about your friend's case, but as a general rule Japanese hospitals keep people in much longer than Western hospitals. If its any consolation, your friend may be well enough to discharge himself/herself before the time they recommend.

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
mogs, I dont know if he's contemplated much past "fk my legs are painful" yet. I dont think using the internet from your bed will slow down your recovary but it might help pass the 3 months he's gonna be sitting there.
Care to elaborate more on the avalanche incident and the injuries?

My sympathies to your friend, but really what have people become if they cannot leave the net alone for a length of time \:\(

On the topic of wireless internet(the type that uses a base station) take a wireless equipped computer to the area and have it do an automatic search for a signal. If there is someone who owns one in the area you could conveniently "borrow" their connection \:D

I might write more in a few days when I find some time but the short story is,

shortish steepish area above a course slid after he boarded over it and put him into a tree fairly hard and one japanese guy somehow broke some ribs im guessing by way of glancing blow to a tree (he ended up on the course). the slip washed right over the course but no one was on it at the time. Another friend and I arrived at the top of the same section 10-15 mins after it happened and found his wife (slip missed her) and the ski patrol waiting for a back board.

He got hellicoptered to morioka and his wife had to stay there to answer questions with the poliece for 3-4 hours before I could take her to morioka.

damage: 2 broken femurs (spelling?) and no circulation to one leg which they managed to save.

careful out there its still snowing!

Ouch. Bad news.

SKI what you are talking about is 802.11b wireless and it is very different than AirH. I know nothing about AirH as we don't have it in the states, but am quite interested. I do know it is around ISDN speeds (128kbps).

Mogski - you are correct about tapping into a wirless network but only if the admin has set up no WEP security. My wireless network is WEP enabled.

enderzone: The AirH service is a creative way that the telecoms are trying to squeeze some more money out of the PHS systems, whose subscribers have seriously dwindled. Still, WiFi systems using 802.11b are being studied and implemented also (for instance, to provide internet connection on trains).

If you're interested, you can find alot about AirH on this website (check for "PHS" articles):

http://www.mobilemediajapan.com

cheers