Any Americas Cup enthusiasts?

With the snow season practically behind me now, I am eagerly awaiting the clash between Alinghi and Team NZ this week to keep my adrenalin flowing. Alinghi were impressive in the LV Cup and my bet is on them.

Markie two things:

1. The snow season is far from over! It will neve be over as long as you desire it.

2. The Kiwi's are going to win regardless of who takes the series. KIWI skipper on both boats. But if you are talking money, I say don't waste it and bet on the Kiwi's. TEAM-NZ skipper is the apprentice of the Alinghi skipper and most likely will turn out to be much better. He has something to prove. Besides it is NZ water and it is unique. (Couldn't resist the sly comment on par with the Japanese ski manufactures there \:D )

Mogski, my friend, I'm not really a betting man $$$ wise, except maybe an occasional small wager for fun. I just think it's more exciting to back a team when watching an event. I think the Swiss have the advantage because of the huge $$$ they have thrown into the boat, crew, back-up etc.. So if Team NZ win it is so much more to their credit.

As for the season being over...practically over, I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed that if the weather keeps up I could still squeeze a short trip over to J-Land during Easter cos that the only holiday time I have left...so, yeah, I really desire it NOT to be over.

BTW haven't heard you talk about your early season muscle tear...hope that means you're over it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Alinghi were impressive in the LV Cup and my bet is on them.
you are on! how much you want to bet dude? 1000yen? 5000yen? next time you come to Japan the loser can cough up
My money is with my team Team NZ goofy.gif
I was home in NZ in September and checked out the Viaduct basin, it was awesome to be there even before the racing began. I went for a joyride on an old Am cup yacht, it was one of Nippons challenge '95 boats.
check out the photos here

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=nzlegend&p=viaduct&AID=603133

I'll join that bet!

A beer on Alinghi losing!

THanks for asking Markie. Yes I am over the pulled tendon. Now I just need to find a way to get over the lack of cash....

Americas cup yeah yeah yeah!

Seriously hooked and checking nzoom.com americas cup updates consantly. Id sign up for virtual spectator if I thought I could get away with it a work \:\(

So Alinghi have been strong all through the LV cup. but they have had a few hiccups here and there. Teething problems maybe but Im sure the heckling etc hasnt helped and Coutts and Butterworth breaking their silence lately makes me wonder if its getting to them. Butterworth esp tried to put the blame back on management as the reason the defected to the swiss team. They are on the defence. Lots of money doesnt make a better campaign as Oracle BMW just showed us.

Team NZ is untested and a new crew, but think about it. Barker is Coutts protege. He knows all his moves, he knows how he thinks, he knows his tactics. But Barker has Coutts knowlege as well as his own stuff. New members = reexaminaion of how things are done and perhaps new ideas on how to improve things. Id put money on Team NZ and will gladly wager on beer bets.

GO BOYS GO. Cant wait till saturday

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
First predictions for Sat?

Mine; NZ will go one up.
Afraid not, Mogski. Seems like team NZ got more than their share of bad luck today. Returning 'on-tow" must have been very demoralizing.
This race is far from over, but it's nice to be ahead at the start.

Skipper Russell Coutts, of Alinghi, broke a 100-year-old record for most consecutive victories by a helmsman. Today, was his 10th win without a loss and he broke the record of nine straight set by Charlie Barr between 1899 and 1903.

Two up to Alinghi! Team NZ looked very hot today and looked like winning for most of the race but Alinghi was able to capitalize on one mistake in the last leg (in an otherwise flawless display of seamanship)and clip the defending champions narrowly at the finish.

Go Go Alinghi!

No need to despair yet, kamoshika. I watched both races, beginning to end. Team NZ is no pushover. The result of the first race was obviously caused by equipment problems which I'm sure they've sorted out by now. In the second race, Dean sailed with great skill and at one point built up a lead of over 100m! Russell made several mistakes but was lucky to capitalize on one by Dean when it counted. That was extremely good luck (or bad depending on who you're backing) and I think Team NZ had an excellent chance of winning if the finish line had been a bit farther back or even ahead.

Now Alinghi needs to win 3 out of 7 and Team NZ needs 5 out of 7, so it is obvious Alinghi has the edge. But the race is NOT OVER!

Whomever wins the Kiwis will still rein tops!

Kiwi's will still own the cup!

Why you ask?

Skipper of Alinghi - Russell Coutts = KIWI! \:D

I am happy!

Look on the positive side fellow Kiwis, at least we didn't sink and see the cup bid over as it just began!

I certainly can appreciate Mogski's enthusiasm because national pride is at stake. For me, it is just a sporting event and just a question of backing the right horse. However, if I were a Kiwi, I would certainly feel some resentment towards the Alinghi Team. The theme "loyalty" is one of the main cries of the NZ supporters, obviously refering to the distaste for the defection from the NZ team of several members of the current Alinghi Team.

Team NZ are beginning to show signs of cracking under pressure, making many mistakes today to lose yet again, making the score 3 - 0 in favour of Alinghi. No team has ever recovered from a 3 - 0 deficit in an Americas Cup final. Final victory now smells close.