Can anyone help?

I have a Sony Vaio notebook and it seems easy enough to make a music CD. or so I thought.

Anyway I have 10 songs on my desktop in mpg format, and dragged them over. All well and good. Then made the CD. All good so far still!

And it plays on my computer CD, also on my region free DVD player.....

But a normal CD player can't read the tracks.

Any tips on what might be going wrong here folks?

Cheers

Some older/cheaper CD players can't read the format. You may need to do some looking around for software that converts it.

I just paid for the MusicMatch Jukebox software after a year of using the free version, but I haven't read the manual yet so I can't tell you yet...

Quote:
Originally posted by trickster:

And it plays on my computer CD, also on my region free DVD player.....

But a normal CD player can't read the tracks.

Any tips on what might be going wrong here folks?

Cheers
dude your problem is likely the CD you made has the files still in MP3 format, which is a compressed computer file.
Your sony Vaio will play it obviously as its a computer and computers play MP3's. Your region free DVD player will play it as many DVD players have the ability to play mp3, my DVD player can do it and has a mp3 sticker on front.

Your other CD player doesnt have the abilty to read mp3 format only regular CD format, regular CD format is very high quality uncompressed files that say 20 songs fill a CD, mp3 is a highly compressed 1/10th the size file, with alot of data thrown away. you can get 200mp3 songs on a CD

To play your mp3 files on a reg CD player you need to recode back CD format. Use your burning software "nero" or another good one , to recode them, the drawback is once you have encoded a CD to mp3 there is no way to get back all the data that was thrown away in compression, you cant ever get the same sound quality of the original CD, all you have is a low quality CD, after you do that.

so the secret is to copy CD to CD straight dont ever go CD to mp3 to CD you lose all the sound quality.
Getting music of the net like Kazaa etc is good but remember if you reencode mp3 back to CD you have lost quality.

There's your answer. I just read that you shouldn't try to play CD-RW, only CD-R, in CD players as most won't recognise CD-R. But your biggest problem is just as the serrow says.

kamoshika, what's the file extension for CD data files?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
kamoshika, what's the file extension for CD data files?
wow there are literally hundreds!

I think audio cd files have extension .cda

For windows the best quality native digital audio files are WAV, wave files, if you look at the details propeties it will just say "audio"

Apple uses AIFF Audio interface file format

Its really complicated stuff, I admire programmers who design programs like Nero who understand all this stuff

It does, well mine does anyway. I'm use the software that comes with the notebook (bought fairly recently) and automatically displays on the desktop. It's really easy and my CDs have come out ok.

• 2 weeks later...