I got the impression from Radiohead songs that I've heard that they can't actually play their instruments very well, and can't sing in tune. I thought these were quite serious handicaps for a band.

Have I been listening to the wrong thing?

ocean11 you need to listen to their first two albums. in those albums (pablo honey and the bends) they proved that they can match any indie (pablo honey) or rock (the bends) group. They showed they can play their instruments.

From there, they moved on and made their own style with ok computer and kid A, and have been pushing thier own boundaries since then. In my opinion, OK Computer would not have got such massive international acclaim/recognition if it werent for the fact that they showed they knew the rules before they broke them (they proved they could play their instruments) with those 1st two albums.

To be honest, I find their new albums hard to get into at first, but once I get my head round it I realise how amazing it is.

I heard the leaked version of the new one, and again it is hard to listen to, but no doubt after a few more listens (of the retail version) I will be singing their praises again.

you really think the new one is tough to listen to?? I think the new one is way more accessible than OK computer or Kid A. Those two took time for me to really apreciate, but the new one just kinda stuck right away.