http://www.snowjapan.com/e/gallery/readers-teleskier-1.html

Here are some photos of Tateyama when I went up there June 10th two yrs ago. As for the Tateyama area - you need to get up to the Marudo Plateau. There are two ways to do this - you can go up via the Alpine Route over from Omachi (about 20km south of Hakuba Valley). This consists over a few electric buses that go through the moutain, a funicular and a tram ride. It takes about two hrs to get up to the Marudo Plateau. Do a search on the web for "Karobe Alpine Route". The other was is from the Toyama side I think (never done this) and you take a bus. There is no private vehicles allowed up to Marudo. From Marudo you will be able to hike/ski wherever you would like. Compared to Norikura it has way more possiblilities - steeper lines, etc. There are cabins you can stay in at Marudo or you can camp. As usual, they would like you to stay at the "campground" but you can pretty much camp wherever for the most part. When I was up there a few yrs ago I was able to see Fuji from the top of Tateyama. The main chute coming down from the top of Tateyama is a great run. I was having a hard time bringing up the Tateyama cam for some reason. This shows how much snow is left up there. I would imagine there is good skiing til about mid-late June. Hope this helps - email me if you have more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Tateyama 7am May 28

0405280702.jpg

It's the Murodo Plateau and the Kurobe Alpen Route, but aside from that the above info is correct.

Access is much cheaper via the Toyama side.

I've only been in November, but it's a really beautiful area. I think we'll do some hiking there later this year.