It's very easy to say "why don't they just make a machine that can be endlessly upgradeable", but unfortunately computers are just not that simple. Standards change as technology improves, so in order for technology to stay cheap and progress as fast as it does, machines will have to have a limited lifespan. But... it's all relative. Most people don't need a 2ghz powerpc processor. My folks, for example, have used a 200mhz pentium 2 machine for about 6 years... In that time, I've only had to upgrade the graphics card and add RAM. They only use it for word processing, email, web surfing... so for them, anything more is just a waste. Marketing gurus are so good at making us feel like we have "old" and "slow" machines, that we crave the latest and greatest even if it's complete overkill. On the other hand, there are those people who will always enjoy the benefits of the newest machines like people who use their PCs for games, people doing video editing and 3d animation, or mathematically intensive processing.... It's all relative.

I bet the chip makers would make more money with the simple upgrade idea...

Pocket money vs. capital investment...

I think the point is, technology isn't that cheap for the crap you get, and it isn't advancing in particularly useful directions from the big picture viewpoint.

I'd just like to add that badmigraine was drinking tonight, is in alot of pain from an operation and jobless.

He gets awfully picky under these circumstances.

Nonetheless well written my friend! Have another one for me!

Referring to the idea of endless upgrading, how is that not the case. True you do have to remove the side panel from your case, but come on, what do you expect? Is it really that hard to take off the case? If you just monkey around with PC hardware a little anyone can replace a CPU or a Hard Drive or RAM. Even replacing a motherboard is simple for the first time if you have a manual.

A PC is 100% just the sum of its parts. That is how Compaq and Dell and all the big OEMs build them, along with ma and pa local OEM. You get a case, throw in motherboard with a matching CPU and RAM - pick out a video card, hard drive, CD - wam bam you've got a PC. When you want to upgrade you throw in some more RAM, or a faster video card, or the next CPU.

Everything is completely modular. Yes you have to have more than a passing interest to stay up to date on what is the fastest/cheapest/will work with part X. If that is too much for you than you can sacrifice that modularity and a bunch of cash and just fork out for a new prebuilt PC from an OEM every 18 months. But you shouldn't complain about wanting modularity when it is right there.

MistaSparkle - you like the look of that G5? I am no Mac hater, but I think that thing is ugggg-ly (whether it was a PC or a Mac).

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Is it really that hard to take off the case? If you just monkey around with PC hardware a little anyone can replace a CPU or a Hard Drive or RAM. Even replacing a motherboard is simple for the first time if you have a manual.
... Yes you have to have more than a passing interest to stay up to date on what is the fastest/cheapest/will work with part X. ... But you shouldn't complain about wanting modularity when it is right there.
Those are computer geek arguments. I understand them perfectly well, but while computer geeks are in charge of making consumer computers, we'll get the same 'good enough' cobbled together shite. And if it's Apple, it will come with a bunch of cultish hoohah.

last night I had my toshiba laptop balanced on a chair and a couple of books next to my fan to stop it overheating and shutting down while it thought about how to convert a DVD into a video disk for 9 hours. ps only p3 1Ghz