Hi, new here. Sitting here in NZ planning a trip to Japan next winter. Just wondering. Realistically, do I need to speak Japanese a bit to get along, and be able to read some? Is it daunting if I cant?

Cheers!

Well I guess it depends if you want to meet people or just go play in the snow.

I speak very little Japanese and get by fine. But I can't go and talk to anybody unless they speak a bit of enlgish.

Getting around though is fairly easy without Japanese. Learning a few phrases will help though.

I started with only: "Eigo ga hanasemasu ka?" and was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness and willingness to talk of many Japanese people, even if their English is very limited.

In fact, in my trip to Hokkaido last month, I was picked up at the airport and stayed the night at the house of a Japanese family in Sapporo. They took me skiing the next day at Teine Highlands and then drove me all the way to Kiroro before going back home. This was a Japanese family of 3 (father, mother and son) which I had only met once while skiing....and I mean really just met "cold turkey" without any previous links or introductions etc. They were incredibly friendly and hospitable.

Knowing Markie, I would think the daughter would be a target in more danger. lol.gif

(Oops no daughter. OK, sons girlfriend. Or indeed, mother)

Lol scouser! Poor guy didn't know what grave danger he was putting his wife though, letting the wolf sleep in the same house as the sheep!

Fortunately it was only one night so I managed to control my primal urges!

But mikazooki, you were way off the target. The silverware was never at risk! lol.gif

• 3 weeks later...