I've not lived in Kansai for several years, but here goes.

The best one used to be Mai Tai on Yotsubashi. Go west from Triangle Park, under the flyover, and turn left when you hit the big road (Yotsubashi). I can recommend the yam un sen (vermicelli salad) and the chicken/cashew dish. The coconut ice cream is also very good.

There's another one just off the Yotsubashi further up (north), maybe the road with with big golf store on the corner. You go downstairs to go in. I only went once, but it wasn't bad.

There's also a flash bar that serves Thai food upstairs way over in Horie. You have to go west from Yotsubashi, keep going past the place with the furniture shops, go across the next big road and go on a bit more down a road with a butsudan shop on the corner. Maybe an Osaka person can fill in the details. It's the place with all the wrought iron objets. The food never used to be all that good, but it's a nice place for a drink and a nibble. A gay bloke who speaks good English used to have a cafe diagonally opposite.

In Umeda, there's a small counter restaurant in Dohyama near Kansai TV. Again, nothing special.

If you don't mind Vietnamese, there's a nice place called Chao Lua off the Yotsubashi just down from the pet shop with the green circle "Starbucks-ripoff" sign. Its the glass fronted place on the first corner. It has a sister branch in Minami Semba that's darker and a bit more cosy, but Chao Lua has the better food.

Don't expect Thai prices!

A wee bit of google found this

http://www.thai-square.com/restaurant/restaurantidx04.htm#oosaka

That should have said the Hotel Kansai, not Kansai TV. It's a neon sign you can see if you go up the tall something-ban-gai building next to Hankyu Umeda. I remember sitting at a counter, but it looks a bit bigger now. In case you're interested, you used to get foreign prostitutes on the street in that area.

I've also been to the one in Minami Morimachi for lunch, but it wasn't very good. You've got the Ten-roku shoutengai just there, so there are lots of tasty places to go to nearby. The okonomiyaki place with Ryuichi Sakamoto on the wall is pretty good for starters.

The link has info for other Thai restaurants around Japan.

Went to this thai joint near Ebisu station, with Goemon and his buddies once, and I swear it was the best thai food I've ever had...

I've gone back there like 5 times in the last month, and they've been closed for renovations or inspection or something... confused.gif

G-mon: any idea what's up with that place??

MistaS: no news on the renovations at Chiang-Plai; unfortunately, I haven't been back there since then.

You might want to try Mai Thai in Ebisu to tide you over in the meantime; they have some good dishes and they have the Thai rock concert videos playing to aid in your digestion.

Mai Thai is on the way to Hiroo from the East Entrance of the West Exit of Ebisu Station. Head straight through the intersection where Footnik is located and it'll be on your lefthand side after a few minutes walk...maybe 5 minutes from the station.

Having lived in Thailand myself before I came here to Japan, I can highly recommend the cuisine - difficult to single things out there is so much.

I'm going to try that place out when I can....still looking for a good Thai restaurant here.

Yotsubashi mai thai not what it used to be. The old chef/part owner moved to a place down the first sidestreet past Tokyu Hands shinsaibashi, called Tawan Thai.

Not only does it have fantastic food, but also pleasant outdoor decking. \:\)

Singha is 6% by vol. It tastes a bit like Carlsberg Special Brew to me.

It's a shame about Mai Thai, but I'll check t'other place next time.