I know that it will differ in different countries, but what do people here think about the concept of arranged marriages.

I am quite close to the subject because of my background, and not a supporter. I'm interested in what people who come from societies where there is none think about it.

Thanks

It must be pretty intolerable in cases where it is forced and overrides the wishes of those who are married.

But for people who aren't particularly marriageable for whatever reason, it's a pretty good fall-back option. Having a structure in which you weigh the pros and cons of marrying someone objectively can't be bad, and having the input of other parties may also be beneficial. This is probably what accounts for the success of the marriage agencies that you find in most countries, including those that don't have a tradition of arranged marriage.

An English guy I know found his Japanese wife through an omiai arranged by a Japanese man in Australia. He mocks the institution of omiai while keeping it a close secret that that's how he got hitched. But I found out all the same. :p

hug rach?

In many ways the system works, and many people actually still support the advantages of it.

Having said that, I'd hate to have been born into it.

\:D