US Visa Application Horror Stories

Come on, folks, let's have 'em!

I've got several myself. If there are any Americans who think they live in a privileged first world country, then for an eye-opener they should visit their local INS office. It operates with all the efficiency and class of the Soviet Post Office. In fact, the INS front-line staff makes US postal workers seem like Ivy League professors of particle physics.

America...in what other country could your foreign wife--due to processessing delays alone--apply for a Green Card, then conceive and bear a child (who'd have US citizenship because born here), then conceive and bear a second child (also gets US citizenship), all before her Green Card petition is even approved, let alone the actual visa or adjustment of status is issued.

And no traveling out of the US during this several-years-long pendency of her application--not even to Mexico or Canada.

You wouldn't believe how bad it is. You wouldn't believe it!

" title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

wow bmigraine, yer response is timely, as I have toyed with the idea of getting married to my japanese girlfriend, but like you, I loathe the INS like a plague. There was some big news thing a while back, that the INS (who allowed all of these terrorists VISA's) needed an overhaul, according to Pres Bush, but I think Bushie's idear was just to give them more paperwork, and impose more restrictions, so that it would take longer for foreigners to get in here.

It's a funny thing, seeing as the administration has seemingly decided to cut slack to the millions of Mexicans who come over here illegally every year, to work for slave wages.

I am a Canadian living in the US, which probably does one of two things - 1) makes it next to impossible to "import" a wife, or 2) gives me some kindov loophole which makes it a snap.

But I think if I were to jump into this, I would be jumping into a huge hassle, as you seem to be having problems with it, and yer a lawyer who (presumably) understands the system.

I heard that if you've got an H1 working visa and then leave your employer, you've got 7 to 10 days to get out of the country. I don't know whether its actually enforced, but the immigration lawyers my ex asked didn't recommend hanging around, let alone working for someone else.

While some employers make vague threats about cancelling your visa, it is very easy to get away with the above in Japan. If you continue to do work that can be presented as falling under the same category, it shouldn't hinder a later visa application.

My mate's brother overstayed in the USA but things worked out since his wife had a proper work visa. He had been on a post-grad visa that had run out.

Would it be easier to apply for it here in Japan rather than in the US? By doing my wife's here for her Australian Visa it was much quicker than doing it in Australia.

That travel ban seems harsh. In Ozzie's case they tell you that you will hear back within 2 months and it better not to be travelling at that time, but before is OK.

Yes, applying for a Green Card directly through the US Embassy in a foreign country is usually much quicker. In Tokyo, it only takes 2-3 months for the entire process...or did until very recently I think.

The problem is, both applicants must be officially resident in Japan in order to process through the US Embassy there.

We're living in the US, so are not allowed to go through the US Embassy. Strange eh. Very ironic. You have to leave the US to get the best US govt. services.

confused.gif