Getting a hold of a rail pass after arriving

you really should figure out where you're travelling first to see if it's worth it. when my friend visited in the summer, he went tokyo-mie-kyoto-osaka-mie-nagano and it was cheaper just buying shink, bus, and regular train tickets. but i guess having the pass is more convenient.

Thanks. The point was kinda that I am already in Japan so I was just wondering if it is even possible to get it from some Shinjuku underground travel agency or something. Technically they can only be purchased outside of Japan, but it seems reasonable that if you have a tourist visa you should be able to buy the voucher in Japan and then exchange it with your passport for the pass.

I think it would be cool to have the pass to just be able to say, "let's go here" at any moment without having to check the budget, but mapping it all out it looks like it might be less economical than just buying the tickets we need.

Ender, I had some mates who visited another mate and they got rail passes and had the best team just hopping shinks from osaka to kyoto to tokyo and wherever the wind took them. They would spend the day in osaka and then feel like coming up to tokyo and do the all night thing and then head up north. If you dont have a set plan and are planning on doing a LOT of travelling around then I reckon they are the go for sure! Good luck finding one in Japan though. I cant see a reason why they DONT sell them in japan. But then again, who understands Japanese bureaucracy and red-tape.