Anyone else notice this....(rugby related)

SAD SYD IN MEDAL APOLOGY

From Alex Spink In Sydney

RUGBY boss Syd Millar has been forced to apologise for his handling of the medal presentation ceremony after the World Cup final.

Dr Millar, chairman of the International Rugby Board, was the man chosen to present the runners-up medals to the heartbroken Wallabies.

But instead of discharging his duties in a sympathetic manner, he crudely rushed the job - almost throwing the medals at the players.

"It was not a matter of disrespect," he insisted yesterday. "I was rushing because I was conscious of the time."

He started by almost lassoing the shocked Wallabies before giving up and simply handing them out. There was no eye contact nor word of comfort for players who had just had their lifelong dream of World Cup glory crushed by Jonny Wilkinson's last-gasp drop goal.

Millar blamed the 20-minute period of extra time which had left broadcasters short of time to conclude their presentation of rugby's showpiece event.

He said: "They were wanting us to hurry up and get on with it and I was conscious that the ceremony was not right. But we should have done it better. I apologise."

Shithouse! No wonder Channel 7 (the hurry up broadcaster in OZ) are dead last in the rating war in our country. Hold off whatever oh-so-brilliant american shit-com you have programmed after the game and show some respect mad.gif

I briefly mentioned it on another thread the "World cup final thread" http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002008;p=2

it was on the SMH here http://rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/24/1069522543970.html

pretty untidy performance all round, John Howard was lambasted for not smiling when he handed over the cup. Come on John one smile wouldnt hurt.

:rolleyes: