Ender/Pie,

Thanks for that. I thought it was a steal with 250GB and the PS2 and comes with it?! According to the advertisement, it is half of what I would have to pay if I buy them separately.

Thanks,

Siren

PS2 = $180US here

250GB HDD = $171US here

I know, I know, those sites are American online sites, but you get the point. The PSX DESR-700 (250GB) retails for 99,800 Yen. That is almost 3 times the price. Crazy expensive.

Hey Barok, isn't that how much you paid for your car in Nagano?

lol.gif - really!? What 'car' is that?

I was comparing the price with e.g.

Sharp DV-HRD10 (180GB) - around 140k

Panasonic DMR-E200H (160GB) - around 110k

Sony PCV-W501B (120/160GB)- around 180k

PS2 - around 20k

hdd dvd recorders are not the same thing as just a hard-drive...

memory is cheap... hdd dvd recorders are not...they are still new and hot on the market, and from what Ive seen are pricey anywhere you look...

so maybe that psx is not a huge rip-off afterall...but I cant say for sure...

you are also going to pay for the all-in-one box too...

danz

You're right danz.

The HDD recorder I have the list price was 100,000 yen (I got it quite a bit cheaper than that). It's great. Got about 40 hours of space to record on in hi-q visuals.

I like it. I like it a loッ!

I don't know the specs of that PSX thing, but it doesn't sound too expensive.

PS3 will likely be announced at E3 in May. Look for a launch Xmas 2005. You wanna wait 2 years?

I say screw PS2, buy an Xbox, mod it and use that to video game yourself to death (just ask Goemon and Mr.Sparky how much free time they have lately).

What do you want to do with your PSX? Time shifting? Buy a TiVo here for $350US. 80GBs is fine for time shifting and TV recording. Does TiVo work in Japan? You might not get the directory service I guess, huh?

Xbox= ¥1万円

HDD= ¥9000円

Mod Chip= $50

TiVo= $350

Almost 1/2 the price of the PSX. And the Xbox will play games from every game console ever made other than PS2, Game Cube, and Dreamcast.

I don't know why am so against the PSX... I think I am just disgusted by any new consumer electronics product coming out based on a 3 year old video game console with a price tag that high. But if it is exactly what you are looking for and price isn't important than more power to ya.

Ender, thanks for the info. I don't actually play game - it is more for my 'visitors'.

The all-in-one package is what appeals to me. I try to keep the place simple and not having too many decks (and remote controls) around.

I think the Japanese TiVo equivalent is Cocoon (http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/cocoon/)produced by Sony but as you can tell, electronic is really not one of my strong area

The next PS another 2 years off. They're leaving it long arent they? I hears somewhere Nintendo might be leaving the hardware business this next time out, and jusr develop software for the machines out there is that right?

Gran Turismo looks good and they're selling what is basically a "demo" of it for about 3000 yen from next week. Its called Prologue and not the full version, or so my understanding of it is. The the full blown version in March or something.

• 2 weeks later...