Panasonic NV GS100.

Best consumer 3chip camera on the market. (105,000 yen on kakaku.com)

6 years back i bought the first 3 chip model and its still going strong! all my mates swear by sony but they are ALWAYS in the repair shop!

Kamo will back me up on the panasonic's!

I'll back you up, happy with my panasonic so far. I just have to get around to getting the english booklet that translates the menues. Its fairly basic to do all easy stuff with japanese buttons.

I hate having a J-camera. I'm going to dump it soon for an E model. For point and play it's fine, but if I want to do anything in the menus I have to have the E-manual for translation. That panasonic sounds nice, I'd like a higher end model for indoor/nite stuff - though I'll definitely be buying an export model, not another J-model. It was the same when I used to have a J-Palm handheld. Drove me nuts till I finally sold it and got an E version.

By the way, I currently have last seasons low end Canon DV. It does really nice outdoor stuff, I got some great shots on the slopes last season but it froze on me a few times on in the cooler weather, like late afternoons, or when not sunny - it would let me shoot some stuff and then suddenly I'd get japanese error messages. So Canon's probably not the best for the slopes.

Sunrise, the only problem with the export models are that they strip alot of the functions that the J models have.

alot of people are gagging to get their hands on a J model overseas!

Most functions are useless, besides shutter speed & lighting adjustment. they rest can be done on editing programs such as effects etc.

Hi Indo.

It's not fx I'm after on the camera (for the reasons you mention), more like certain lighting adjustments in situations where there is strong backlighting, nightlight, etc.... not using it for digi shots, so don't need shutter speed (or is this also a vid function?)

So, if we don't need all the functions, what are the kinds of functions that get stripped off the E models that you say the J models are better for? This is something I haven't heard about.

i wouldn't recommend getting a dvd one bc then you cant do any editing. theres always lots of crap you film that you want to cut out.

i got an export e model last year. although it cost more, it has been nice to have the english manual and menu displays. had no problems figuring out how to do something new, like tape something from the tv.

my camera's a sony- i think model number dcr-trv18 or something. i like it alot. the best part is the night vision. comes in handy a lot- really fun to film at parties or outside or wherever the light is dim.

I'd recommend getting a horizontal model-longer than it is taller- much easier to hold and shoot.

also, if you have a mac or plan to use imovie to edit, check the apple website for a list of camcorders that are compatible.

happy shopping!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Kamo will back me up on the panasonic's!
I certainly will, bought the GS70 on Indo's advice and I must say, the picture is brilliant! 3CCD beats one. Really happy with it. compact, comfy to hold.
I played around with many in the shops, but the one that felt the best in my hand was the Panasonic.

Still photos on taken on the memory card arent so flash but I have a Digital still camera aswell so that is not an issue.

sunrise, checkout www.supervideo.com . This guy Chuckie gets all the video stuff first in the US way before the makers release it. On the site he has info about the cameras. With all Japanese models that are exported to the US etc I remember reading that certain high tech (& important features) were stripped. check it out if you have the time.

Indo, I checked out that link and did some more research - turns out I helped a friend get one model lower to that one, last autumn, (which seems to be the highest model currently shipped overseas) I remember it, it's a good camera and it had been recommended to her, so this nihon version is even better but not available overseas (at this point). I wonder if they'll do an OS version?

You say some features get stripped, but this may become a moot point cos if I bought a nihongo version I'd only be using point and play anyway cos of the nihongo menus, (which is what I'm doing now on my Canon FV200), so for that I'm probably better off getting an E version and at least having more inspiration to use other features in the menus. I'm going to hold off a little anyway and see if they bring out an OS version for your model and also see if they bring out any new nihongo versions in the next few months.

anyway, thanks for the recs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Panasonic NV GS100.
Best consumer 3chip camera on the market. (105,000 yen on kakaku.com)

Maybe I just got a lemon, but I bought one just before christmas, lasted 3 days before packing in. Took it back (after two weeks of videoless skiing) and got a refund (couldn't be repaired...)