I have a friend living fairly nearby, an American, and the other day his landlord told him he had just 1 month to move out - no reason given apart from "thats what has been decided" (or thats all I've been told). He's of course pretty pissed about it and throwing tantrums at people, but as yet had little luck.

Anyone know anything about the legal situation here about being evicted? My buddy claims he done nothing wrong...

depends on what the contract states.

A month sounds like the end of march, which is when alot of contracts end and usually the land lord can do what ever but mid-contract is I would think that ya mate should have a leg to stand on.

My old landlord had us all move in without contracts. The all the people that moved in after us all had to sign yearly contracts that ended on march 31st. This is because he wanted to renew his apartments and with us on no contracts or mid contract he would have had to find us accom and pay all fees for the move...

so I was told

It's my understanding (yak connections excluded) that short of a contract ending, a landlord has no leg to stand on regarding evictions.

If I were your mate, I'd get the contract out, and if not stated contract ending date is shown, find a lawyer prompto. Japanese law is meant to be very much on the side of the tenant.

If he paid big key money, there certainly shouldn't be a short term contract ending date.

It's my understanding (yak connections excluded) that short of a contract ending, a landlord has no leg to stand on regarding evictions.

..... unless the guy has done something disruptive. That's where all the "aimai" might come into it. I had a friend who was basically evicted (very politely) without much of a reason. He looked into legal things, but it seemed like massive hassle and just decided to find somewhere else (better in the end)