Wow, that hit close to home. My friends and I talk about this stuff all of the time. None of us seem happy where we're at. I've finally decided to do something about it and that's why I'm getting out of here and taking a long break from work.

Thanks for the links. Never read much about this. Glad I'm not the only one out there thinking/feeling like this.

Also known as 'SBS' (spoilt B syndrome)... ;\)

It's what happens when one no longer has to worry about what one's genetically programmed to worry about... survival.

The burden of choice... what, oh what to do? (next...)

I often suffer from it, and have to turn around and laugh at myself once in a while for my self indulgent wallowing... lol.gif

(wish i'd thought about coining the problem a few years back, though, the royalties would have come in handy for dealing with the self indulgences...)

Woywoy, I'm 29 years 11 months 339 days old.

Ocean has a point - 'human condition' is as good a way of putting it as anything else. The first article you posted makes some excellent points in identifying many of the things people in their mid to upper 20's are going through today. Life is much more different now than it was 20 or even 10 years ago. The human condition is always changing.

The second site you posted has quite a bit of rubbish on it in my opinion. The whole thing about support groups and having seminars and workshops seems a bit ridiculous. Our need to label and quantify every little emotion or feeling or trend in life has become tiresome. Just deal people or join a church or something. sheesh.... \:\)

As I stated in my first post, my friends and I have been discussing stuff about life in general for those in their late 20's for a couple of years now. We share trends we notice between us and our friends and their friends and friends of friends. My good buddy in the states enlightened me on the 'Saturn Return' concept which seemed to correlate with what we were talking about. "Astrologers call the period between ages twenty-eight and thirty "Saturn Return." I find most things dealing with astrology to be pretty much BS, but it was interesting non-the-less.

I definately think there is more stress for people in their mid to late 20's these days than there ever has been. May be I think that simply because I'm going through it now, but it seems many others do as well.

Info on \'Saturn Return\'

Japanese astrology has the same thing - the yakudoshi (厄年). I forget which ages they are, but the Nozawa fire festival is based on the idea of immunizing the participants in those age bands to the bad luck and hardship of those years.

This way of thinking is predicated on everybody going through the same sort of shit at a similar time of life. The first arguments with the wife about sex, discovering that rice planting isn't nearly as much fun as it looks, the onset of hemarrhoids or whatever.

But these days, often the shit is so spread out, everybody goes through it all the time but at a lower level. The bursts of happiness and satisfaction can be hard to identify.

I think one of the yakudoshi years is 40 or thereabouts. And it is a cliche that life begins at 40. But I do notice that a lot of people seem happier then - before cancer hits.

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:

Women at , 33, . [/QB]
I seem to be on a feminine cycle ...

There are some good books out there on choice, which seems to lead to many issues around this age. So many choices one is paranoid of the opportunities one rejects rather than enjoying the opportunity one takes, decisions paralysed by the wealth of choice...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
The whole thing about support groups and having seminars and workshops seems a bit ridiculous. ..........

............... my friends and I have been discussing stuff about life in general for those in their late 20's for a couple of years now. We share trends we notice between us and our friends .....
Sounds like a pretty good support group to me. Nothing better than chatting about real things with your mates to sort out how you move & grow through life.

Good point db. I was thinking more along the lines of AA or Alanon when I looked at that site though. Take a gander at the message board sometime. Interesting to read a few of the thousands of posts on there regarding this topic. Kind of sad in a way too.