I mainly board these days but I love skiing too, but my old ( I mean old ) K2s arent cutting it anymore. They are 188's. I hae been following ski talk on the site, but I am thoroughly confused!

I am looking for an all round ski, (no freestyle, so twin tips need not apply). Something versatile, Ok on groomers, solid in crud, smooth in powder.

(pass on the moguls though.)

I would say I am upper intermediate, I can ski the whole mountain, but not so good in deep powder in the trees (just ask Davo ;\) )

I am 182cm, 85kg.

Anyone got any suggestions for a ski for me? cheers \:\)

Quote:
In the fall of 1995, K2 Skis introduced the K2 Four, the first ski with a brain. The ski, which utilizes "smart" material to counteract edge-perturbing vibration, is complimented by an all-new, deep-dish sidecut that optimizes ski performance and versatility. After receiving a gold medal for performance innovation from Popular Science Magazine in 1996, The K2 Four went on to become the #1 selling ski in America for the 1996/1997 ski season. Continuing on its winning streak, the Four was awarded the 1997 Snow Country Innovation Award at the SIA show in Las Vegas in March of 1997.
they were top of the line when I bought them 97/98 but technology moves on huh?
They are quite a narrow ski, especially in the waist I want something fatter.

I was thinking Sally xscreams the newer types.

B2 rossis

k2 axis x

dynastar autodrive with a 80mm waist

go at least your height or slightly over for overall easier turning and speed control

Twins offer more skis at 80mm so dont discount them a lot of them were made to ski powder and park, and they have a lot of shape. Plus skiing switch can be fun on flats.

A question for experienced skiers i.e the two guys who helped me out ;\) Whats the difference in the handling characteristics of say my current ski

(98-65-85) and the B2 (113 - 76 - 93)

or even the B3( 122 - 94 - 112) not that I need a ski of that calibre!

Is there a big difference? is fat ski harder to control? stable at speed? is turning easy?

A cm extra is only a cm. But when you start thinking about it. It has that much more surface area to stay afloat.

I wouldn't worry about turnability until you get into the plus 90 waste size if not bigger.

But you said you don't do bumps so you don't need a skinny turny ski there. Unless your doing little slalom turns a bigger ski is going to help you turn in everything outside of the perfectly groomed run.

This makes no sense at all.

any new ski will hve way more shape so...

you know have a more rounded turn. even salom skis of today are made to made a round sharp turn instead of a skided quick action pop turn.

My advice is go witha ski with an 80 mm waist. B2 is a pretty good ski. Or xsrcreams

If your looking for a good mid fat my local shop has a dynastar inspired by nobis ski. good all round ski not so fat.88mm waist turns gs really well. Dynastar doesnt make many super fats because they want to supply the east with the same ski. that means you get a fat type of ski that does more.

That ski is about 45000 yen I think or less.