I think the needed the HD to create those massive levels.

Perhaps they will find a way to emulate that memory somehow, or just put in a tiny 1gb HD or something.

Xbox loads the whole level into a temporary place on the hdd, and that way the xbox can access the level code fast enough to display the whole level 'live' (ie. without loading from dvd constantly).

PS2 and the like dont have this feature so they have to make the levels much smaller, or divide the levels up into bits (e.g. in resident evil when it accesses the cd/dvd every time you open a door to a different area).

Basically the HDD just cut out the need to be loading from dvd all the time, and thus made the game faster, bigger and more immersive.

You can`t download anything with your Xbox, but of course you can use the hdd to store mp3/movies/games etc. Indeed I have about 100gb of pirate stuff on mine.

But I reckon they are getting rid of the HDD purely for cost (and weight) reasons, rather than piracy.

With the speed and uptake of ADSL increasing, they may even be able to stream a lot of stuff to the Xbox2 via internet. Or, it may have a wireless LAN so you can connect to your PC HDD. Who knows? It`s still so early.

to be honest im not assed about backwards compatability. i just wanna play new games. once i have finished a game i am done with it and never go back to it. its like reading a book twice. plus the xbox2 games will blow all current xbox titles out of the water no doubt.

• 1 month later...

Less than 600 a week?

I don't see how they can change it round even with the next piece of hardware. for whatever reason, Japan just ain't interested.

--------------

Weekly sales clock in at just over 500 for Microsoft's Xbox

From Computer and Video Games:

It really does seem that Japan will never quite 'get' Xbox in this generation. Despite reports of extra marketing activity and price-cuts, Microsoft's console continues to falter in Asia's key territory with Media Create reporting weekly sales of just 574 units, for the week ending June 6.

Xbox has all those American cooties that Japan wants nothing to do with. Apprently Microsoft is going to need a clever way to kill it's 'westernised' image or things won't get better.

Perhaps success in this generation is doomed. Microsoft should look to their next generation strategy now to ensure they win some of the market share in Japan. As opposed to the abysmal results they're getting now, and will likely continue to get in this generation.