Also known as Kite Surfing? Its hit big in Okinawa and looks like something I'd like to try. You can get some major air too - 10 to 20 meters high - when the conditions are right. Unfortunately you can also go 50 meters if the conditions are not. But still, looks like something I'd like to have a go at...

some days its really windy, and some days the lake is glass. I hate jet skiing on days when the lake is blown out so kite-ing would be a great way to still enjoy the water. The great thing about having the jet skis too is I could go anywhere the wind took me, and the wife could come get me on the ski if I couldn't make it back on my own.

Although it seems "expensive", its not really much more than snowboarding and once you have the gear, the wind is free, unlike snowboarding which I end up paying a ton for express way tolls, lift tickets, stay overs etc. And its a lot less money than my jet skis for sure.

You can also kite in the winter using your snowboard. I've seen pics of that too though you'd need a good wide open space or a lot of balls if you wanted to take it up on the mountain...

There are a few things about the sport I've already learned about:

You need decent wind - not light, nor gusty. Too strong isn't good either.

You need pro lessons if you want to start out right.

Yes, there are a few people out there who can pick it up in a few hours, even by themselves maybe, but there is a lot to learn about flying the kite, wind direction, space required and even equipment. A powered kite is a dangerous item in the hands of an inexperienced person.

But I can see how if someone only gives it one try (maybe without lessons too), they might not like it. I've seen lots of folks struggle here at my local lake with their new kites and boards cause they're doing it without instructions, and the days they were out, the wind was too light for the kite they were using.

Another thing I'd like to do is Para gliding, maybe (preferably even) Para motoring...I see they do para gliding up at Mt Iwate near Shizukuishi...

Ray, you've described my friend's experience there. He got dragged about all over the place or couldn't 'get it up' at all. Lots of dicking about with tangled lines and wet shrouds. Hairy moments of being blown in the wrong direction towards the road and power lines. Mates laughing at him and saying "I'm not going to say 'I told you so' hahaha." Buying extra expensive bits and bobs in the hope that it will make all the difference.

But in the right place (Hawaii maybe) it might be great fun.

Kiteboarding looks awesome. On the surf beaches around sydney on the blown-out days there are a lot more guys kiteboarding and while it looks pretty tricky to start with one of my mates says it isnt that hard if you have the right person showing you the ropes. Those guys get serious air and can also ride the waves as well. Seems like a great option for when the surf is blown out. I would love to give it a go!