Yeah Nick is a bit of a craftsman. Unlike a snowboard I see your favorite surfboard much like a functional work of art. Not only is a well shaped board beautiful to the eye and touch (much like a good woman), it is also your gateway to some of the best times in your life (also like a good woman). The veneers he has available are beautiful as well, especially the black heart sassafras. It is a beautiful tree and makes beautiful wood. I bet your board looks absolutely amazing. Which veneer did you choose.

One of the best things a like about surfing was the comeraderie that went with it. You and your best mates (including my girlfriend) hit the road and find some great waves, have a ball surfing, hooting, cheering, giving each other shit, then back to the tent or the shack around the campfire swapping stories over a few cold ones and a few hot ones, laughing your arse off. Your body feels great from some hard excercise, your soul is full of joy from friendship and the wonder of nature and surfing and life simply can't get any better.

God I miss home sometimes " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Badmigs, you are back in Tokyo now right? I f you have you board with you I would love to come and check it out sometime.

Wow! I cant believe that all over this side of the world I am reading an American and an Australian chatting about Stranger boards on a snow sport internet forum based in Japan. Pretty cool really. Small world blah blah. Come to think of it I vaguely remember being trashed up and talking to someone in Japan about Stranger boards and I was amazed that they had heard of them. It might have been Mogski?

I too used to drive past the Stranger factory and stopped in there a few times. Never bought one of his boards though. I didn’t have an issue with them, just preferred Insight boards which I actually used to order via a guy called James Dalton just up the road from Nicks shaping shop. For a while I got ‘sponsored’ boards from Cutloose but that was a short burst in high school. Not really on topic at all either.

Dims - I recall very well driving to Nubeena and staying often at a shack in the bush just back from the beach with Andrew Campbell and another guy who I just can’t remember. I was not part of their crew but we used to crash there a bit. This was about as fun as my South Tas trips got. It was good but never became part of the click.

And B-migs: you are quite correct about snow in South Tas when a low pressure system comes in. I surfed a few times with snow falling and many times walked down the beach for a dawn with 1cm’s of frost crunching under my feet on the sand. It was freezing and I really didn’t like it at all. I was no where near hard enough for that discomfort. If you ever end up in Tas then check out Eagle Hawk neck - awesome place, the Remarkable Caves and also Bruny Island. There are a ton of places in between but those ones are all easy to find and good quality

I also miss the fun I used to have as described by Dims. These days I am not a surfer’s gonad, and it is sad and pathetic \:\(

again " only a surfer know the feeling!"

Deeeeebs, Cutloose! Sth Auzzie boards? just down the road from me!

" also miss the fun I used to have as described by Dims. These days I am not a surfer’s gonad, and it is sad and pathetic "

ditto. \:\(

After only surfing twice in my last two years in Japan I am less than one eighth of a surfer's gonad. Until I put some more time back in the water I can't use the term to describe myself with any real honesty. This will quickly be rectified with my return to Australia in October.

Deebs I remeber that shack well, had a couple of big nights there, and at Jules Freemans shack up the road. Great location for just sprinting over the Dunes at first light for the early. Ah kegging under the cliff at nubes! Love that right hander.

Im with everybody else. Only get in a few surfin trips a year in Japan \:\(

Most of them have been just so-so trips. Usually choppy waves with little power makin it hard for me to use my short board: got rid of the thing just cuz I dont use it enough. Had maybe two or three trips when typhoons were about to hit and got lucky. Especially in the afternoon with the offshore breeze blowing had some great sets comin in.

Only places Ive surfed are Kochi (shikoku), Miyazaki, Hamada (shimane) and Katsuura (chiba). Have you been to any place you would recommend?

Those long boards look pretty fun. I saw them at Murasaki and another sports store but a bit pricey eh? Guess tryin the auction like O11 is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:

Deeeeebs, Cutloose! Sth Auzzie boards? just down the road from me!
sure thing mate. I didnt actually know much about them, just they were trying to get a bit of market in my state and i was doing ok in my particular corner of the state(...which isn't saying much).

I had three of them over the space of a year and managed to snap two of them at a place called lighthouse in a town called Marrawah. This was all way back in about 1988.

This is getting REALLY small town now, but you have to read this strange exchange in a parliament committee. I used to know that guy!! Dims is probably the only other crew that will get anything out of it. The first part is a cracker.

http://www.parliament.tas.gov.au/ctee/Witnesses/VINEY.htm

My Stik came yesterday. With what delight did I unpack the separate trucks and board, go to my toolbox, and try every allen key I own (12 of 'em) to find that not a single goddamn one of them fits the bolts.

What kind of sadistic pervert makes skateboards with '3/16' bolts? Lawson doesn't sell '3/16' allen keys I found (OK, I knew it, but I went to look anyway).

Damn. DAMN!

Ocean, there's a chance I probably have a 3/16 allen wrench in my kit at home. If you're needing it, I'd be happy to takyuubin it down to you. Don't have much use for it lately, so you could keep it around for as long as you want, maybe even forever. Let me know if you're interested, I'll check my toolbox and could send it tomorrow (Saturday).

Dims, I'd love any chance to show off my board. Right now is not the best time though! At work, I am presiding over the looming bankruptcy of a well-known Japanese company (if it happens, I am out of a 70-hr./wk. job...I kind of hope it happens \:D ), and at home my wife is having a difficult pregnancy and is on strict bedrest. I don't think I can leave her on the weekends to go surfing until after the baby is born this autumn. By then, we ought to meet on a ski slope eh.

What a great thread this turned out to be. All we need now is a pic of Ocean's new toy.

Thanks migs, gracious as ever. I'll pop down to DIK this arvo and see if I can get one, and if not, I'll be most happy to accept your offer. (It's quite a big DIK so I might get lucky.)

Oh yes, and here's a pik of the Stik with somebody's feet for scale. The board is bigger than I thought, and it feels magnificent underfoot.

Stik.jpg

Let's hope that if your company does fold, they won't ge giving away spare hubs as a golden handshake...

Yessssss,

Go to the DIK to fix up your STIK. Don't be a prick or you'll be given the flick. Then get on it and cut sick! Fantastic!

Badmigs it sounds a if you have a hell of a lot on your plate. Another time maybe. wave.gif

O11

lol.gif

thats what you get for getting a cheap one!

Mine came with the full promo cd etc and included an allen key that fits! So you telling me that I better not lose it?

Thanks, Dims! Actually, I am under a constant rain of turds at the moment, and the only reason I feel fine is that my little baby girl is on the way!

I haven't yet decided whether she's going to be a pro athlete or a financial genius. It's hard to choose. Maybe both?

One thing's for sure. If she has my teeth, then she is getting braces. For sure.

My parents are Brits and they just didn't see the value of orthodontia. Well, if my company goes bankrupt, maybe I can get braces and reinvent myself as a guy with perfect teeth.

\:D

Right well I'm back from DIK and I'll never be short-handed for allen keys again. Thanks for the offer anyway migs. (Oh, and be gentle with pregnant women. Mine still hasn't forgiven me for preferring to go out biking to staying at home waiting to feel diddums kick again.)

Indo, my big set of allen keys cost 398 yen.

30,000 yen - 24,500 = 5,500 - 398 = 5,102 yen

That was an expensive promo CD! eek.gif

I've been out on my board a bit, and now it's time to start a new thread "Stik love!" Oh boy...

I always considered my paricularly British teeth to be cute and characterful until I met Ams and Aussies who thought differently...

Bringing the threads together, maybe a new stik, with a rather bad crash and a healthy dose of insurance..= \:D

Ocean, glad to see a man acquire more tools. This is always a good thing.

If you don't want the allen wrench, then how about some hubs and clutch housings then?

In a pinch they double as cruise missiles it seems.

:rolleyes:

What a world.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Indo, my big set of allen keys cost 398 yen.
30,000 yen - 24,500 = 5,500 - 398 = 5,102 yen
That was an expensive promo CD! eek.gif

yeah! and it's such a good cd that I'd even send it to ya!

stik love! U know wot I mean , now don't ya!